Mass killing of a family in Ohio

Madison Hiemstra, Editor-in-Chief

The execution-style of killing of eight family members in a rural Pike County, Ohio has sent neighbors into shock and investigators enter overhaul as they try to find out who killed the family members and why. The eight victims were all members of the same family. The Rhoden family; Hannah Gilley, 20; Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40; Christopher Rhoden Jr., 16; Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20; Dana Rhoden, 37; Gary Rhoden, 38; Hanna Rhoden, 19; and Kenneth Rhoden, 44 were all killed within four different crime scenes. Each member of the family was methodically shot in the head as they slept in their home 50 miles south of Columbus.

“There’s blood all over the house,” the woman told 911 operators. “My brother-in-law is in the bedroom. It looks like they beat the hell out of him.”

Amid all the carnage, three children were found unharmed — a 4-day-old infant who was next to her mother when she was killed, a 6-month-old baby and a 3-year-old. State authorities are now caring for the survivors.

Two of the residences where the killings took place are within walking distance, authorities said. A third is about a mile away and the fourth about eight miles away.

What we don’t know is who killed the family members, or why. Authorities do believe that the ones responsible for the killings were very familiar with the victims. “It was a sophisticated operation and those who carried it out were trying to do everything they could do to hinder the investigation and their prosecution,” Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said.

What we do know is there were extensive marijuana growth operations found at three of the sites. We also know that the marijuana was not being grown for personal use. The region in which the family lived help put Ohio in the top 10 states producing the most marijuana. It was also obvious that the family was not growing the cannabis for recreational use. They were growing it for manufacturing purposes proven by the type of equipment, including industrial valves and the very large pipe that was found.

The youngest victim, 16-year-old freshman at Piketon High School received a threat of the killings on Facebook. Officials are aware of the threat and it is being taken into consideration as the investigation continues.

Authorities are unaware of whether or not the killings had anything to do with the marijuana growth operations.

Authorities are not releasing very much information due to the safety of the family and those who are involved.