Rainstorm in AHS Over Winter Break

Rainstorm in AHS Over Winter Break

Katelyn Heisler, Staff Writer

As sure as I am of all the students and staff here at Alliance High School have noticed, AHS is missing some ceiling tiles. On December 23, 2022 the high school’s fire alarm went off due to the water pipes bursting, since the alarm went off outside of school hours, and no one had attended to it, the fire alarm company called the high school’s administration. When Mrs. Digmann got to the school the Alliance Fire Department and Police Department were there. She showed members of the fire department where the fire suppression shut-off was located. They got the water turned off, but it is said that those pipes hold about eleven-thousand gallons, so the water was going to flow until the pipes were empty. After the pipes were emptied of all the water, it was about ankle-deep throughout the lowest level of the commons. The only things that were damaged were the carpet in the entry-way, the carpet in Mrs. Harris’s classroom, and the ceiling tiles. Of course, there were other staff members that helped out with the mess including: Sandi Morava, the business manager, and her sister, Mrs. Digmann, Annaka Digmann, both custodians, James and Tracy, Mrs. Hiemstra and her cousin, district maintenance, Luis Camacho, and Troy Lunbery, another custodian from a different building named Nelson DeSersa, Mr. and Mrs. Harris came to help move things from her room because of the flood, and Mrs. Shana Brown who works for the city and was called because the water was pushing onto the street, she is also a school board member. Finally, the reason as to why students were not able to come in through the entry doors was because the school had to replace the entry system, again because of the water damage. Hopefully this does not happen again, for it was a huge mess.