The Soccer Petition

During the last week of February, a petition was sent to every student in grades ranging from seventh to twelfth. It was a petition to start up a soccer team for Alliance. The email was sent out by Hailey Rodman, who started the idea. She has already cleared the idea with the school board, which is why she is getting signatures to get started.  She wants to make sure people would actually participate in the sport, rather then have two people in it. Hailey states,” I want to start a soccer team because I miss the sport, its fun, and all the other schools around us play it. I played soccer for 3 years and I was a goaly every year. I miss the sport and I think we should all get the opportunity to play it.” 

Once the email reached the students, a lot of talk  about a soccer team started to arise. People doubted that the school would actually start a soccer team, regardless of how many signatures the petition got. Others thought the idea of a soccer team was nice, and it would help students who didn’t enjoy the other sports the school had. 

Maci Cornish, a sophomore, states,” I don’t think starting a soccer team is beneficial. We would have to travel far to play other teams, and I don’t think it would get anywhere.” Jerry Hampton agrees with her, saying how it doesn’t seem normal to have a soccer team for this small of a town. 

It is interesting to hear the different opinions on what people think about starting a soccer team. Many people have very different opinions from one another, but I think we might have a chance to start a soccer team. Many people disagree, but the people who do agree will most definitely support the group and will fight for a soccer team.  All in all, it’s a good suggestion to the school and students.