Senior Farewell

Senior+Farewell

Sophi Sanchez, Senior Editor

It’s hard to believe that this is the last story I’ll be writing for The Spud. It seems like just yesterday we were squeezing together for a Journalism selfie at the beginning of our sophomore year. As the agonizing months wind down to excruciating weeks, it’s time to reflect on the last four years of our lives and the advice we have for those who will come after us.

Among the most important things I learned are how to cook and eat a meal in under twenty minutes. Seriously, even at a restaurant or on the weekends, I still inhale my food because that’s what I’ve been doing every day for the past four years. Sometimes I’m late to class because my vegetables take too long to heat up, but I do my best. Even if I’m late, Mrs. Digmann still makes me tea. Our tea parties will always be one of my favorite memories. 

Secondly, junior year is where your pool of friends starts to dwindle. Those who take advanced classes and those who take regular classes are separated. You realize that you were only friends with some people because you saw them five days a week. People change; so do goals and aspirations. Someday you’ll learn that that’s okay, and everyone has their own path to follow. The leaders will be distinguished from the followers and those who want to succeed will do so. Figure out if you want to be a sheep or a wolf. It will be hard to stray from your friends to do what’s best for you and follow your dreams, but your future self will thank you. Also, remember this: if you want to be number one, you have to be odd. 

Thirdly, bullies will always be bullies. Don’t ever let them kick you while you’re down. Keep your head up, eyes forward, and remember that this is all temporary. High school has definitely blessed me with thicker skin, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t days I would rather not be seen. It’s okay to take a mental health day once in a while. Remember this: your well being always comes first. It’s more important than any test grade or attendance award. 

Lastly, high school taught me that I am capable of more than I think I am. It’s taught me to be unafraid of the unknown, to face my fears head on, and never tremble in the shadow of doubt. Don’t ever be reluctant to try something new or take a chance. Don’t live your life in fear. As time goes on, your self consciousness will go down, and you’ll be able to bloom like you were always meant to. Eventually, you will realize that you only get one life and you just have to live it. At the same time, remember that if your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough. 

These past four years have been taxing yet memorable, but I am so excited for the next chapter. I can’t wait to explore every corner of the world, make endless memories, eat takeout on the floor with my classmates in undergrad and medical school, and become the best emergency room doctor this side of the Mississippi has ever seen. Looking ahead, these next eight years of education are absolutely petrifying, but I’ve earned the right to take advantage of every single one of them and learn how to save lives. 

While these are definitely not the best days of our lives, let them teach you to seize every possible opportunity and run with it. You won’t regret it. 

Peace out, AHS. Thanks for the memories. 

Sincerely, 

Sophi Sanchez, Senior Editor