The Dream Wall Continues

Liz Johnston, Staff Writer

Last year at Alliance High, student and teachers were encouraged to write on the “dream wall” in the hallway. The “dream wall” was a wall that the advanced creative writing class, taught by Mrs. Smith, put up. People wrote their hopes and dreams on the wall with chalk. Over Christmas break Mr. Kramer fixed the wall due to students putting holes in it. It was then painted with chalkboard paint so it can be easily reused.

Mrs. Garwood found the idea from her daughter who was going to Doane College at the time; the wall was put up by the student’s mailboxes for everyone to see. Everyone will be encouraged to write on the wall again. Mrs. Garwood said, “I think it is a great idea to put up the wall again and have it available to everyone.” Mrs. Garwood also said,” Txhe class of 1974 recently had there class reunion and they loved the wall, even one man stayed to read every word that the students wrote on it.” Mrs. Garwood felt that the wall would be a positive experience for the students.

The purpose of the wall is for you to write down your hopes and dreams so that dream will always be in the back of your mind. The wall was a big hit last year almost every line was filled with awesome dreams. Some of he dreams included changing someone’s life being in the Olympics or traveling the world.

The idea to paint the wall with chalkboard paint was some of the teachers’ idea. Mrs. Smith sent an email out asking everyone if they wanted to decorate the wall. Mrs. Graham is going to do an activity with her careers class, which will tie into a unit that her class does about goal setting and dreams. Mrs. Smith is also going to do an activity with her creative writing class dealing with the same idea.