The Decision of a Lifetime: Traditional College Perspective

Kelsey Horton, Senior Editor

In today’s society it is clear to see that people who attend college receive more praise from the public eye. Whether it is a junior college, or a traditional four-year college, a college degree can provide a person with a higher paying job, more work benefits and in general more experience. It is common for most students to attend college for a various number of reasons, and in the public eye, it is the most common way for a person to succeed. 

According to a study done by Southern New Hampshire University, college graduates earn more on average, workers with a college degree are less likely to face unemployment and are more likely to enjoy the job that they are doing daily. 

AHS Senior, Shaylee Messersmith plans on attending the University of Wyoming next year to major in Secondary Education in Social Sciences. Following college, she plans to become a history teacher, with hopes to later become an international teacher. Messersmith stated that she thinks, “Continuing education is important depending on what career someone pursues.” According to the Bureau of Labor, the number of jobs requiring postsecondary education are increasing monthly. 

AHS Senior, Saphina Achi is planning to attend American University to major in Biology. Following college, she plans to become a radiologist. Achi believes that some people benefit from continued education, while others do not. Achi also stated that he has always planned on going to college because both of her parents attended college, and for her career she needs a college degree.

Oftentimes, parents play an important role on children when they are preparing to make the decision of a lifetime. Messersmith stated that her parents definitely stressed how important postsecondary education was, but the choice was hers either way. On the other hand though, Sward noted that his parents want whatever he wants. 

Attending college is expensive and might even be stressful, but the good almost always will outweigh the bad. College is a time to really get to know yourself, make some friends, and set yourself up for a successful future.