Volleyball Preview 2019

Maycee Quick, Editor

Just last year, the Alliance Bulldogs Volleyball team made it to the state tournament. This year, they are hoping for the same result. 

The varsity team consists of five seniors: Lillie Otto, Khloe Felker, Jordan Hopp, Payton Weber, and Cameron Tritle. The sixth player forming the varsity starters is sophomore Amauri Browning. When asked about team chemistry, Otto expresses, “The team chemistry this year is unbelievable. It’s awesome to have such great girls on our team.” These five seniors have been playing together since middle school, so it is no surprise that they have a good team chemistry. 

Their main goal this season, of course, is to return to the state tournament. Otto states, “Once we perfect all the kinks that every team has in the beginning of a season, I believe that our team can be very good, and I’m excited to see what we can do.” There has been a lot of talk that this year will be a rebuilding year for the varsity team, but the players disagree. “My number one goal for this season is to be the team people say we can’t be,” Weber says. “Once we learn how to be the team we are in practice on the court, we will be the team we are looking for. We are a great team. We just have to believe in ourselves first.” 

Last year, the varsity team lost five seniors: one being a D1 recruit for Wyoming, Emersen Cyza. Although it may be different without these key players, the current seniors still had important roles last year. Felker was the starting libero, and Hopp, a D1 recruit for Iowa, was also a starter. Otto and Tritle saw the court quite often and had predominant roles in the state tournament. Weber experienced a torn ACL throughout the entire season, which was quite a setback for the outside hitter. “I have been waiting for this for quite a long time. Sports have always been my number one thing. I enjoy every minute of it.” Weber says that her advice to an underclassmen is to soak it all in, work hard, and have fun because the end comes very quickly. 

The lady bulldogs will play their fifth game against Sidney on Thursday, September 19. Good luck on the rest of your season!