AHS Football Preview: A Determined Season

Crystal Garza, Staff Writer

The 2018 Football season has officially started and things are looking good for the Bulldogs this year. With lots of improvement in the summer, plus a whole lot of training, the Alliance Bulldog fans should expect nothing but hardwork and dedication out of the players this year. Jayce Bauer, a senior and number twenty-one on the field, says that he expects a lot out of his team this year. Jayce starts by saying the team has put a lot of hard work in since October of last year until now and it has shown in the weight room. After being asked about the challenges of reconstructing a new team, he commented that the chemistry overall between the team is the most challenging to reconstruct. It’s difficult to see how everyone will work together, and how all the players will try and come back from last year’s season. He added that the overall dynamic of the team has been way better and more versatile, with lots of the players on the team being able to fit in multiple positions. He feels that they are a lot faster and stronger. Jayce added that “we can push the tempo and get the defense on their heels with the dynamic we have this year.” As a senior leader this year, he will exhibit his leadership by “showing them how we work here, if you make a mistake go onto the next play, give effort, and work hard on every play.” He says he will build up the underclassman when they need it. As Jayce begins his last season of football he asks the underclassman to enjoy every moment, and overall, work hard!

When asking Coach Seebohm about the overview for the upcoming season he had some words to say about the team as a whole, as well as individual players. During their off-season, he agrees that they’ve had a mass of improvements, such as working on individual drills to improve as a team. He then added that Coach Palomo did a great job with the players in the weight room and throughout this summer, as well as this season. The team is “bigger and better than they were last year at this time.” During their off-season and summer, there have been great players who have improved and shown great leadership. A few players he mentions that have been great leaders at practices and during off-season are Mason Hiemstra, Kysen Harris, Chandler Stinson, and Erik Folchert. “Trevor Dubray is throwing the ball really well, and Kysen has great vision with the football.” He then adds that Mason and Reece will be great threats for catching. Last year, the JV football team was outstanding and had an undefeated season, Coach Seebohm says the goal is to keep all of the positives they gained from last year and apply them into this year. Most JV players from last year are now on the Varsity roster. With lots of tough competition, he says Scottsbluff and McCook have been winning playoffs and will be extremely great this season; however, this will not stop our team. They will give the same amount of effort and preparation to every team they play against. Everybody has to be on the same page to be successful! He says the most challenging part about going into a new season is definitely making sure everyone is in the right position and knows what their role is, but once everything is set in place, it is easier to focus on preparations and game-planning. Lastly, Seebohm talks about the seniors’ leadership. He says the seniors leadership is great, he adds that they are very vocal and lead by example.

The freshman coaching staff will consist of Coach Derek Wells and Coach Preston Walls. Coach Jess Clarke is the new addition to the varsity staff. Coach Clarke will be working with the defensive ends and wide receivers. Coach Clarke was an All-American wide receiver at Chadron State College and Coach Seebohm is looking forward to see what he can do with these players!  

The Bulldogs offensive starters will consist of QB Trevor Dubray, Erik Folchert, Kysen Harris, Jayden Bauer, Baily Hood, Colter Mann, Matt Escamilla, Bradyn Palmer, Mason Hiemstra, Chandler Stinson, and Reece Jensen. This year’s defensive starters will be Bradyn Palmer, Noah Freeze, Mario Garza, Matt Escamilla, Jayce Bauer, Chandler Stinson, Reece Jensen, Baily Hood, Braydon Wilson, Mason Hiemstra, and Kysen Harris. Lastly, this season the kicker will be Crayten Cyza, the team’s punter will be Josh Jensen, and the returner will be Kysen Harris.    

The Alliance Bulldogs had their scrimmage on August 17 and Coach Seebohm said he saw very positive things as well as things they need to work on. The bulldogs fell short to York, 55-14 at their first home game on August 24; however, the following week against Chadron they won 17-6 on August 31! The Bulldogs this year are expected to play hard and work hard throughout the rest of the season! Goodluck on the rest of your season boys!