Arbor Day 2021

Chloe Mann, Staff Writer

Arbor Day 2021:

Today is the last Friday in April, which is a very important day for the environment and for the history of Nebraska. Arbor Day has taken place on the last Friday in April since 1972 and originated in Nebraska. According to Love-to-Know, “Arbor Day is a special day that is set aside throughout the world to raise awareness of trees and the important role that they play in our environment.” On Arbor Day people around the nation go out of their way to plant and preserve trees and take steps to decrease their carbon footprint. 

For many years, people have been doing everything they can to save our environment. Arbor Day is a huge part of this because it is a day to plant, upkeep and preserve trees. Arbor Day means “tree” day in Italian. Throughout the years, the greenhouse gases given off by humans and man-made objects have been damaging to the ozone layer, which helps protect life on earth from harmful UV radiation that comes from the sun. Damage to the ozone layer has let more heat enter the atmosphere on earth, which in turn makes temperatures rise, this is called global warming. Due to global warming glaciers are melting, making ocean levels rise. This is just one example of all the harmful greenhouse gases are doing to the earth. On Arbor Day, across the United States, approximately five million trees are planted, these trees in turn remove carbon dioxide from the air during a process called photosynthesis. This lessens the amount of carbon dioxide that harms the ozone layer. This holiday has slowed down the harmful effects of climate change. 

As many know plants and trees are a huge part of the upkeep to our environment, as humans breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, plants convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. We all have plants to thank for being able to breathe on this beautiful planet. Arbor Day is a day where people can get out with their families and friends to do something good for the environment. Planting plants and trees are a great way to help the environment as well as get some positive sunlight in your life. Students at AHS could get out sometime today or someday soon and plant some trees, plants, garden vegetables, etc. All of these things will help decrease a student’s carbon footprint and also have positive effects on mental health, according to mind for better health, “Spending time in nature has been found to help with mental health problems including anxiety and depression.” This is very important in the next upcoming weeks where school seems to drag on. 

Arbor Day is a great opportunity to get out in nature and give back to our Earth. This Friday go out and plant some trees, spend time with your family and hang out in the sunshine. Arbor Day is also another day where we can sit back and think about the great opportunities and happiness this beautiful place we call Earth has given us.