Should We Change the Parking Lot?

Recently the school’s parking lot has been a topic of debate, whether its that the parking lot is good or that it needs to be changed. Due to this recent debate I decided to find out what students think about the parking lot!

The main arguments being made is that there aren’t enough spaces in the main parking lot and that the flow makes it harder to get in and out. The layout of the parking lot is the way it is for a specific reason however, with Mr. Stein stating, “It’s supposed to help direct the flow only out of one exit and only in one entrance.” His response to my question about there not being enough parking spaces he said, “It’s something we can’t really change quite yet, there are buildings and roads where we would have to expand it.”

Now that Mr. Stein’s point of view has been established, we can now ask students their opinions. The first student I talked to was Rozlyn Wills, the first question I asked was if she thought the parking lot layout was good or not, “It depends on how you look at it. I like that the flow is all one way but I don’t like the location of it and that if I want a guaranteed spot I need to be early.” I think the biggest argument here is the guaranteed spot, this has been a huge issue among most students. Many students get to school as it is about to start which puts them at risk of not being able to secure a parking spot. This is also an issue when events happen that require students not to park on Box Butte which forces them to find new places to park. I also asked Sutten Parkinson, “I don’t personally park in the parking lot but that’s because of the many issues other students have had.” I also asked if she would be willing to park in the main parking lot if it were changed, she stated, “Probably, I like my parking spot but honestly I would like to be closer.” 

Most students agree that the parking lot’s flow is good and that it just needs more space for people to park. I want to know your opinion on if we should change the parking lot, or if we should keep it how it is!