Who’s Your Hero?

“Do you have a hero?” This is a question I was recently asked by one of my teachers. So I began to wonder, Who’s your hero? Lets start by determining what a hero is. According to many a hero is a legendary figure with great strength and abilities, however, many people believe a hero is someone that they look up to, admire, and are inspired by.

The first person I talked to was Mrs. Escamilla. I wanted to ask Mrs. Escamilla this question because she is super open minded and very dedicated, Mrs. Escamilla told me “My hero is my dad. My dad was a perfect example of a great husband, father, and spiritual leader. He wasn’t perfect, but he taught us to carry out life’s responsibilites with pride and respect for others.” This answer showed me that she had great admiration for her father and truly cared about him. My next question for her was if she thought having a hero was childish. Her response to this was amazing, she stated, “Having a hero is not childish. Everyone should have someone to look up to. It doesn’t matter if it’s a family member or total stranger!”

I then shifted my focus towards students. Students often think having a hero is childish and isn’t necessary. The first student I talked to was Makenna Haskell. Makenna made it very clear her hero was her mom because without her she would be completely lost. she also told me that having a hero isn’t childish and that its just a matter of who you look up to. The next student I asked about her hero was Josie Sanders. She responded with, “My hero is my dad because he’s the epitome of a hardworking, humble, and dedicated person. My dad has earned everything he has by working hard and never giving up in times of struggle…” “I aspire to exhibit his strength, humility, and problem-solving mindset in my life, and I look up to him every day as he gives his all in everything he does.” The last student I wanted to hear from was Sutten Parkinson. She was very adamant about who her heroes are, stating, “My heroes are my parents. That may be a generic answer, but they have gone through so much together. They have worked together to raise me into the person I am today. They have taught me everything I know and I cannot thank them enough for all they have sacrificed and done for me.

While writing this story I learned a lot about people and who inspires them which has left me wondering, who is your hero?