Mario Garza: Tackling Obstacles

Kelsey Horton, Senior Editor

High school athletes play sports for a number of different reasons, but one of the most common is in hopes of continuing their career at the collegiate level. Alliance High School Senior, Mario Garza, has been able to persevere through a very unique high school career to make this dream a reality.

Mario Garza is the son of Mario and Mariana Garza and is an active participant in the AHS Football Program as well as being a member of the Alliance Spartans’ Legion Baseball Team. After six years of playing offensive line in football, Garza’s hard work finally paid off when he was offered a scholarship to play football for Mount Marty, but is also looking at Morningside College. Garza stated that his favorite memory of playing AHS Football was “making tons of memories with his best friend.” Garza also discussed that he felt that he was prepared for the amount of time and effort needed to be an athlete at the collegiate level because he has “been prepared for a couple of years because this is something I’ve always wanted to do.” 

Unfortunately, injuries are common in the game of football. During his senior season, Garza suffered a complex break in his femur and had to have surgery to put two screws in. He also tore his MCL, but the tear was not bad enough to require surgery. Needless to say, Garza is a mentally tough player that was able to overcome a very tough year. He was still able to finish out his senior season with no regrets and was known to be one of the most inspiring players on the team, with underclassmen looking up to him.

Garza remarked, “The most inspirational person in his life was his cousin Caleb because he was the strongest person he knew, and he never gave up.” Garza plans to go to college to continue both his education and his football career, and will make the people of Alliance proud. 

Garza was a very influential player both on and off the field. He was known to come early and stay late. One night after a pre-game practice, there were some elementary students playing a pick-up game at the practice field. Garza saw this as an opportunity to be a positive influence of these students, as he went and joined them for their game. Alliance High School Head Football Coach, Chris Seebohm reflected on the time that he has coached Garza and he stated, “[Mario] is very unselfish, an extremely hard worker, and his effort on and off the field goes way above anything that we would ask of him.” 

Although he is unsure whether he will be going to Mount Marty or Morningside College, Garza will continue to be a hard-worker and an influential player both on and off the field. Seebohm also noted that Garza is one of the best linemen that has come through the AHS Football Program since he has been a coach and is a great leader that will continue to do great things in college. Garza remarked, “I’d like to thank God for giving me the love and passion for this game, along with all of my coaches, especially Coach Lambert. I felt like he was another dad to me. [I] also want to thank my parents for always believing in me.”

The SPUD, along with the rest of Alliance High School, wishes you the best of luck in the rest of your career, we will be cheering you on loud and proud.