AHS Senior Artists

Crystal Garza, Editor

The senior class of 2020, is a very talented class full of very creative artists. The art program has immersed and has been on full display for a lot of students who are not in art classes, and a lot of the senior’s art has been on display all over the high school. 

Art classes differ from intro to art, drawing, painting, sculpture, and ceramics. One class that consists of mainly seniors is independent art study. This class is filled with talented senior artists, and as most of our AHS students have noticed as, they are creating a big art display on the hallway leading to the high school library. When asking senior, Harley Hill, about his thoughts on the project, and how it came to be he said, “Mrs. Brock and I came up with the original idea for the hallway. We had joked for several weeks about just going out there and painting something. Then one day she said that she actually got permission to do it, and she asked if I wanted to take over. So now I just work out there during my last two periods of the day as an ‘Independent Art Study.’” As a person who is in art classes and enjoys them, I personally think that it is super cool that these seniors finally have a way to show off just how talented they really are. 

Another way that these senior artists will be displaying all the hard work they have done this year is through this year’s fine Art Gala. The Art Gala was a concept that Mrs. Brock came up with. Harley mentioned that he believes that the Art Gala was a way for Mrs. Brock “to show off her senior artists and let them get recognition for their hard work.” He continued to say, “I love the idea of giving the students recognition for their hard work. There are a lot of talented artists at the high school, and I’m glad they finally get to have their names out there.” When asking senior artist, Magi Hoff, about what she thinks about the Art Gala, she mentioned that she thinks the “Art Gala is a big thing for the arts in this school. It’s very nice to finally get an event that appreciates the visual arts. We have a lot of very talented artists who have built their own portfolios, and it’s nice to finally be able to show them off to our own school. I think this will be something for future students to look forward to.” Magi Hoff is one of many artists that has displayed her art in a lot of places. She mentioned that she has displayed her art “all over the country, with winning the junior duck stamp. I have also had my art displayed at our county fair, the Carnegie Art Center, Hastings College, and at some smaller shows.” It’s easy to say that she has already had exposure with her art everywhere, but it is still a huge deal to have her art displayed for her own peers to see. 

Art is something that is super important to both of these senior artists, and now that it is their senior year, decisions can be difficult for later in life, but one thing is for sure, they both want to keep doing art in the future. Harley mentioned that he does plan on continuing art after high school. He says, “I am considering going into education to hopefully teach art some day.” Magi, when talking about her future plans says, “I definitely plan to continue art after high school, it’s my passion. Although I will be majoring in graphic design, I plan to keep painting and drawing a large part of my life and possibly sell pieces on the side.” With all of the talent these two artists possess, it’s safe to say that their futures in the art world are nothing but bright!