Prom: Is It Too Early To Plan?

Crystal Garza, Staff Writer

The second semester each year tends to distract students from school and lead their minds towards prom night. Prom has been a huge deal in high schools for many decades now. It started way back in the early 20th century. In the 20’s and 30’s, prom was a simple dance, where students dressed in their fanciests gowns and tuxedos. Now that proms have become even more elaborate, some guys and gals seem to receive a lot of pressure from peers to look their absolute best. In order to look your best, some say you have to start planning early; however, others believe you shouldn’t stress about it. So, the question is: is it too early to start planning prom?

Madison Gibson, a senior at Alliance High, says that it’s never too early to start planning for prom. She explains that “the earlier you look, the less stress you have during the 2-3 weeks before prom!” She definitely speaks on behalf of a lot of other girls who plan early for prom. To most girls, this is a very important dance. You have to have the perfect dress, perfect nails, matching shoes, a good hairstyle, and perfect makeup. Don’t forget a boutonniere, a corsage, plus a color scheme, and of course the perfect date. Diana Acosta, a senior, says that it’s definitely not too early. “I don’t want anything to be last minute, especially for prom. That day goes by way too fast for anything to be left last minute.” So prom really is something you can’t leave for later.

Others believe it is too early to start stressing about prom details. I mean, it is just another prom. Of course it’s fine to plan a little ahead, but to stress four months before could be a little extreme. Senior, Madison Korte, said that prom isn’t until May 4. “That gives me a little less than 5 months to plan. Buying a dress does not take that long. Maybe 2-3 months before but not 5.” She does make a good point. Two to three months seems like a much more reasonable time frame to shop and start thinking of prom. Kaden Klaassen, a junior, states that it is definitely too early. He says that “your date could drop you like no other and you just paid for all the necessary needs for prom.” This could actually happen to just about anyone! Sometimes it’s smart to think about things like dates and making sure you will go to prom, because unfortunately,  you can end up paying for a dress you won’t even get to use.

Prom can be very stressful, and for those who want everything to be perfect, maybe it is a good idea to plan a little extra ahead. For others it’s important to plan, but maybe not this early. The time will come, and when it does, then maybe you can start thinking of dresses, appointments, and other traditional prom preparations!