My NSAA SAC Experience

Maycee Quick, Staff Writer

The Nebraska School Activities Association Student Advisory Committee has affected me in more ways than one. The morning Mr. Clear called me down to the office and told me about this application, I was both excited and nervous. I saw the NSAA SAC as something that was impossible to achieve. I was overwhelmed but optimistic while filling out the application. The day after I submitted my application, I ate at Wonderful Kitchen. I happened to so ironically get the fortune “An investment in yourself will pay dividends for the rest of your life.” A couple weeks later, I was reading an email from Ron Higdon, the NSAA assistant director, saying that he needed my picture for the NSAA SAC poster, because I had been chosen. Because of this experience, I have made so many new friends and I am a part of something bigger than myself.

Getting into the NSAA SAC is a long and stressful process. The NSAA SAC consists of 16 kids chosen from the state of Nebraska, 8 juniors and 8 seniors.  We have to fill out an application, write two essays, and have a coach and a teacher send in letters of recommendation. The essay prompts were, “Why do you feel school activities are important in your life and the lives of high school students?” and “What leadership qualities do you have or what leadership roles have you played that would best benefit this Student Advisory Council?”. Each student is chosen based off of his/her proactiveness with extracurricular activities, leadership skills, ideas, and understanding within NSAA activities/athletics. Thankfully, I had a helping hand from Mrs. Digmann, Coach T,  and Mr. Myers while writing my essays.

Our primary focus in SAC is to communicate leadership and ideas between both the students and the administrators. NSAA SAC focuses on discussing NSAA activities and promoting leadership and sportsmanship within Nebraska. In our last meeting, we recorded PSA’s on sportsmanship that will be played on the NSAA site, state championships, and on the video boards in bigger schools. We discussed community service projects, and how we can spread leadership in our hometowns. We also discussed what leadership summits each of us would like to attend throughout Nebraska. Both Ron and I are excited to attend the leadership summit in Alliance November 13!