The Early Bird Catches the Worm

Allexis Rolstad, Staff Writer

Waking up can be difficult. While it is easy to keep pressing the snooze button every morning, sometimes extra sleep can do more harm than good. There are many benefits to waking up early and some of the most successful people are early risers.

Too many times I have stayed up late at night, and woke up late for school the next morning. Although waking up earlier is hard to get used to, it will make for a much more productive and happier day. Waking up late causes you stress and puts you in a hurry. Many studies have shown that waking up earlier leads to less stress because you give yourself more time to get work done in the morning instead of worrying about it later.

“When I wake up early, I feel like my days are a lot better and longer,” stated Nichole Bucy, a senior at Alliance High School.

Studies have shown that people who wake up early usually have a more regular sleep schedule. The people who stay awake at night usually sleep more, which leads to being late and wasting hours of daytime that could be spent being productive.

While there are many benefits to being an early riser, there are also benefits to being a night owl too. The night time is the perfect time to prepare for the next day. It is less stressful in the morning when you have already gotten everything ready to go the night before. Early risers may feel more productive in the morning, but night owls are often more productive at night.

“It’s quieter at night because most people aren’t awake,” said Julia Carlson, an AHS freshman.

Everyone prefers a different time of day to be productive, but waking up early has by far the most benefits. Getting enough sleep and waking up early surely will make your day more energized and proactive. You may have heard the saying, “The early bird catches the worm,” and many studies have shown this to be true!