Signs and Safety Pins

Back in the 1970’s many people would use accessories or colored accessories to identify others like them or to send a message. A simple everyday object that was subject to this was the safety pin. There are many different codes such as this used then and some even now. 

Safety pins are used as a sign of safety to minorities and victims of both racist and xenophobic speech. It’s meant to display support and community as humans. It originated from  70’s British punk bands, who would produce music disgorging discrimination with race, orientation of birth, sexual orientation, and police brutality. Safety pins were first adapted as a simple fashion statement but quickly were used on clothing and as tattoos as a sign of a “safe space” or “walking sanctuary”. It’s still a commonly used symbol today among minorities and the LGBTQ+ community. 

Traveling alone can, unfortunately, be very dangerous. It’s important to always have someone you’re close to with you. It’s just as important to be that person for others as well. Looking out for others in a situation of need is important, especially at this time in all of our lives. Be safe, and be the safe space for others in need!