The Dangers of DIY Tattoos and Piercings

Allexis Rolstad, Staff Writer

Self-given tattoos and piercings are a popular trend between teens and young adults, and this includes many students at Alliance High School. Although many sources say that this is safe, there are many health risks that come along with it.

Many people use the “stick ‘n’ poke” method to give themselves tattoos. This requires you to use needles to “poke” ink into your skin. These tattoos are often regretted in the future and there is a very small chance that they will fade. The bacteria on the needle entering the skin is one of the most common risks you take by giving yourself a tattoo. This leads to skin infections that could become deadly.

Many teens and young adults often pierce their own bodies. Unprofessionally piercing your own body may leave you with damage, scars and infection. Blood poisoning, also known as septicemia or sepsis, is caused by infections. This leads to serious damage to the heart, liver, and kidney.

Many websites such as sticknpoke.com, guarantee a sterile procedure, but there are still risks of Tetanus and Hepatitis B and C due to dirty needles. Any shared needles cause risk of these diseases, which can lead to fatal consequences. There is also a risk of putting the piercing in the wrong place. This produces scarring and a possible punctured vein.

Just because you can’t see dirt on the needle, it does not mean that it’s sterile. Bacteria is invisible and using a nonsterile needle can cause you many problems in the future.

It may seem like a cool thing that all your friends are doing, but it’s a better idea to wait for your tattoo or piercing to get professionally done. Your health is way more important than your social status.