Why you should join the jazz band.

Jazz is a small ensemble that you must audition for. The auditions will typically take place at the end of the year. After trying out, the director Laura Mangas will evaluate your performance and see if you made it in. Typically you’ll receive an email about 1-2 weeks after, telling you your results.When you tryout and make it in you won’t have to tryout again. Mrs. Mangas said, “A lot of it comes from recommendations coming for the high school, and personal observations if they were already in the high school.” 

It’s named an advanced band class because it’s described as a harder class as Mrs. Mangas states “The music is more involved than in the big band we stay in between two 2 ½ to 4. The level of music is harder in jazz than it is in the concert band.” You try different styles of music like Latin American and Punk Rock, there also are more concerts and events that you have to attend/play at then the regular band. You also go through a lot of music, unlike concert band there are sometimes up to four pieces that you perform on concert/show nights. The music grading goes from a 1 being the easiest goes up to a 5 being the hardest. After grade 5, pieces start to go into a collegiate level. A lot of music is handed out in class, these pieces can range anywhere from a grade 2 to a 4. Not all music that is given out will be played at events and concerts, some are alternates that won’t be used at all. When asking some of this years seniors why they joined the jazz band, Maddy Huss who has been playing since 8th grade states “I wanted to join because it was the first time Mangas was doing a jazz band for middle school and I wanted to try it, I also really like street jazz that was part of the inspiration.” Another senior who has also been playing since 8th grade, Charlotte Schmidt states “ I had a big love for music and seeing that I could expand into a new variety of music and a new instrument that I’ve always wanted to play.” 

The SPUD hopes everyone who tries out makes it and has a fun time. I hope everyone doing it will learn something new and cherish the opportunity given to them!