• There will be a boys basketball meeting in Coach Bakers room (209) Wednesday at lunch. Pizza and water will be provided.

• Come support our volleyball team at the Pilfold Invite Saturday, October 20, at 9 a.m.

• There will be a speech team meeting in Mrs. Green's room Wednesday, October 17, after school

• There is no school on Friday, October 19

The 2018 Grammys

Mareesa Buskirk, Staff Writer

The Grammys is one of the largest events of the year, and was held January 28, 2018.  Famous performers, and artists, are invited to perform, and dozens of artists are nominated for numerous awards. This year, The Grammys was held in New York City, at Madison Square Garden. This was the first time since 2003 that The Grammys was held outside of Los Angeles.

James Corden, host of the Late Late Show, was the host of this years Grammys, and many of the announcers of awards doubled as performers. The performers included Bruno Mars and Cardi B, Alessia Cara, Khalid and Logic, Elton John and Miley Cyrus, Kesha, and many others.

Bruno Mars was the top winner of the night winning three awards, which included, best song, record, and album of the year. He also performed his new single “Finesse” with Cardi B, and rocked the stage.  

Alessia Cara was the only woman that won a major grammy award, which was “Best New Artist,” Many news articles and fans have been talking about this issue.

Kesha performed her song “Praying”, with the main focus being about women empowerment. In 2016, Kesha spoke out about being sexually assaulted by her producer. After the allegations, and her producer plead guilty, she wrote her album “Rainbow,” speaking out about what had happened to her. Most major awards were given to men, and the majority of the nominee’s were men.

Almost all of the celebrities that came to this event wore a white rose and included the roses in their performances. The white rose is a symbol for the “Time’s Up” movement. The “Time’s Up” movement was founded January 1, 2018, and combats sexual assault and harassment in the entertainment industry. It’s a response to the Weinstein effect, as well as #MeToo.

Thirty two awards were given, and nineteen performances were put on. The main focus of the night was sexual assault and the many survivors. 19.8 million people tuning in to watch on of the biggest nights of the year.  Within the many fantastic performances and the awards, the 2018 Grammys was a successful night, and one to remember.