District One Act 2021

Morgan Moomey, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, the class B-6 District One Act competition took place in Gothenburg, Nebraska. Eight schools competed for the chance to represent class B-6 at the state competition. 

The AHS cast, crew and directors made a three-hour drive to Gothenburg the night before, giving them plenty of time to enjoy the evening and prepare their minds for the competition. The cast spent some quality time together eating pizza and making memories at the hotel. 

At 10:00 the next morning, McCook High School kicked off the competition, performing the show A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Alliance High School took the stage second, performing this year’s show, Nothing Says I Love You Like Bad Poetry. The AHS One Act cast performed this show on November 30 to the public. This performance allowed the cast to practice in front of an audience one last time before Districts. After Alliance performed, it was Gothenburg High School’s turn. Gothenburg performed Anatomy of Gray. Aurora High School was next, performing Antigone. The next show performed was The Crucible by Sidney High School. The last three schools to compete were Gering High School, performing The Quiz that Almost Killed Me, Chadron High School, who performed Crimes at the Old Brewery and Valentine, who performed A Voice in the Dark: A Salem Story.

Valentine came out on top and will be representing class B-6 at the state level. Gothenburg was the runner-up and Chadron placed third. Even though this wasn’t the ideal outcome for our Alliance One Act cast, there were still many successes for them at the District competition. They received three Superior ratings, and there were also seven cast members who received an Outstanding Performance Award. These actors and actresses were Sierra Banks, Haden Karell, Mario Rodriguez, McKenna Ruffing, Ann Ryan, Carlie Schneider and Christian Soriano.

Congratulations to the One Act cast on a terrific season. Good luck next season, Bulldogs!