FCCLA’s Creepy Crawler Carnival

Shelbee Burke, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Saturday, October 30, the Alliance Chapter of FCCLA held the first annual Creepy Crawler Carnival. This event was for children in fifth grade and younger. The cost to attend was five dollars per child, and children and parents were encouraged to come wearing their Halloween costumes.
The Creepy Crawler Carnival was from 6-8 pm in the PAC Commons and there were numerous games and activities for children to participate in, including decorating pumpkins, pin the bolts on the Frankenstien, a treat walk and even a bouncy house! FCCLA advisor Monique Elliott remarked, “A parent mentioned how awesome it was that high school aged kids were willing to spend their time hosting an event for kids.”

Elliott stated, “I was extremely happy with the turnout that we had. We had 189 kids attend and with parents, I think we probably had about 300 in attendance.” She continued saying, “With it being our first year I didn’t expect that many people there.” She added, “The feedback we got was very positive. Parents were saying it’s nice to have an event specifically for kids that is inside during halloween.”

This event will be annual, and every member of FCCLA thoroughly enjoyed participating in this event. Elliott added, “I think we had a great time. Next year we will move it to the gym. It will be more organized and we will have better prizes for the activity. Overall it was a really nice way to have an event for kids and their families, which is what I enjoyed a lot.” Five dollars is a very affordable cost and students were able to stay for as long as they wanted, and could participate in the games and activities as many times as they wanted.

FCCLA stands for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America, so this event was a great chance for FCCLA members to bring families of the community together. Elliott explained, “It was really special for me to see the members in FCCLA give back to our community and be leaders within our community, which is what our mission for FCCLA is.”

Elliott said, “For our first event I couldn’t have been happier with the outcome.” The Alliance Chapter of FCCLA would like to thank everyone who came this year, and can not wait to make it even bigger and better next year!