2021 Homecoming Week

Photo Credit: to Anita James, Peyton Stoike, Just Shoot Me Photography, and Allison Roberts

Shelbee Burke, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The week of October 11-16 was Alliance High School’s Homecoming Week and the theme this year was Mardi Gras. Each hallway was decorated to match the theme, and the best decorated hallway award was given to the Juniors, with the Seniors in second place and the Sophomores in third, followed by the Freshman in fourth place and the Alternative school in fifth. Each day this week had a dress up theme which included: Monday as “Mardi Gras Day,” Tuesday as “Meme Day,” Wednesday as “Tacky Tourist Day,” Thursday as “Throwback Thursday” and Friday as “Blue and White Day.”

On Monday Mini Olympics took place in the afternoon. There were 15 games and over 20 teams competing. Each team competed well, but the top four to make it to the finals included the D-O-Double G’s, Team Black, the Osifers and TFT. Coronation was later that night and included the crowning of royalty, Mr. Cheerleader, and performances from the band and cheerleaders. The Mr. Cheerleader competition was also this night. Burning of the A following the crowning. The drumline, cheerleaders and newly crowned class royalty lead the students out to watch; Chants were performed throughout, and the band also played a variety of songs.

The Pep Rally was on Wednesday and included an encore performance from the cheerleaders and Mr. Cheerleaders. Class royalty was announced by emcee Mr. Lanik, who also gave a shout out to the upcoming sports and activities that would be competing in the following weeks. The pep rally concluded with the mini olympic finals. The “centipede race” eliminated the D-O-Double G’s and Team Black, leaving the Osifers and TFT to compete for the title of the mini olympic champions. The final competition was a family feud that was bulldog themed. The Osifers came out on top in a nail-biting fight to get the title. 

On Friday, the Parade began at 2:30. There were a multitude of participants in the parade including class, FFA and APS Foundation floats, the class royalty in convertibles, the Color Guard and high school and middle school bands. The parade proceeded down Box Butte Avenue, waving at the spectators and handing out candy. The Homecoming football game kicked off at 7 that night,with the Bulldogs battling against the Lexington Minutemen. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs ended up losing a hard fought battle, and Lextington came out on top.

Homecoming week concluded on Saturday with the Homecoming Dance with students dancing the night away from 8-11. Overall, 2021 Homecoming Week was a success, and the SPUD would like to thank everyone who helped including Student Council, students and staff and the cheerleaders.