Quarantine Activities

Quarantine+Activities

Shelbee Burke, Staff Writer

With all of the cancellations that COVID-19 has caused, this leaves students with a lot of free time on their hands. Here are a few ideas on how to pass the time to make social isolation more bearable!

Now is a good time to start, or continue, to be active and healthy. There are numerous at-home workouts, along with workout apps that can help you get in shape without going to the gym. Keep in mind that just because we need to isolate doesn’t mean we can’t go outside! You can go for a walk or a run, and even take your dog if you have one. Going for a bike ride is another great way to stay active. 

Many students are finding that they are having a hard time being successful with online schooling for various reasons. Meditation or yoga could help with a few common problems. It’s a great way to destress as well as focus and can help you to calm down. 

While we do have much more free time than we used to, it’s important to remember that first and foremost we are students. Even though we can’t attend school and have to take a new approach to learning, it is crucial to stay caught up on homework and assignments. Creating a  planner to stay organized could help with this. Writing down assignments and their due date, along with what day you plan on doing them can help you stay on track and complete assignments on time.

It is important to do things rather than staying on phones and devices all day. Try out bullet journaling or writing in a journal. Journaling is quite beneficial and can help with many aspects of your life. Coloring in adult coloring books is a great way to destress, improve focus, and can reduce anxiety. Reading a book is another rewarding thing to do, as it can increase vocabulary, strengthen the brain and often aides sleep. There are even online book clubs you can join to motivate you to read!

Try out a new hobby or craft. There are many hobbies you can pick up such as knitting, DIY’s, baking or cooking, or even plant a succulent garden. With a variety of different hobbies available, by doing some research you could find one that interests you. 

Cleaning and organizing your house or room is another good way to pass the time. Wiping down surfaces that are frequently touched like light switches, phones, remotes and doorknobs is a good way to prevent the spread of germs.

Facetime or call family members and friends. It is a good way to stay in touch and can be used as an alternative to hanging out with them since that is currently not safe to do. Writing a letter to them is also a fun thing to do. 

In Alliance, as well as other towns, many people are putting teddy bears in the windows of their house for a “bear hunt.” Driving around town and searching for all the bears you can see is a great way to get out of the house and can be an enjoyable activity.

Cruising the Butte is a weekly event that happens on Saturdays at 4 p.m. Cars drive down Box Bute from 1st to 14th street. It was cleared by the Alliance Police Department and the Panhandle Public Health District, meaning this is a safe activity to participate in. Around 250 drivers participated in the first cruise, with the age of drivers ranging from 16 to 81. There continues to be a big turnout each week it happens and it is an exciting event that brings the community together. 

While it is hard to not be able to spend time with friends, we all need to remember that by isolating, we are not only protecting ourselves from this virus, but also the people who are most vulnerable to it. So when boredom strikes, rather than going to hang out with a large group of people and potentially being exposed, keep in mind that there are many other activities you can take part in to pass the time!