The AHS Mid-winter Concert

Morgan Moomey, Staff Writer

The mid-winter concert is the second of three concerts that the Alliance High School band will be performing this year. This concert took place on March 10 at 7 P.M. in the P.A.C. 

The AHS jazz band opened up the concert with three pieces. The first piece, entitled “Jumpin’ at the Woodside” arranged by Mike Lewis, featured Jackson Moomey and Bryson Darveau on trumpet,  Shawna Banks, Aubrey Garrett and Hunter Stevens on alto saxophone, and Nevaeh Moon and Ashlynn Chipperfield on tenor saxophone. 

The second piece played by the jazz band was titled “ Embraceable You”, arranged by Roy Phillippe. This piece featured Josh Childers on trumpet, Aubrey Garrett on alto saxophone and Kaigan McBride on tenor saxophone.

The final piece played by the jazz band was titled “The Incredibles”, arranged by Stephen Bulla. This was a medley of songs from the classic Disney movie of the same name. After this piece, the curtains closed and the band set up for the concert band.

“Rise of the Firebird” by Steven Reineke was a vibrant opener to the concert band. This piece was full of energy and had a small french horn and euphonium feature. 

At about six minutes long, the second piece played by the concert band was “With Every Winter’s Breath” by Randall Standridge. This piece opened with a quiet woodwind part, and small swells from the brass. Jackson Moomey then entered with the melody of  “Go Tell it on a Mountain.” The french horn and clarinet also make a prominent feature in this piece. According to jwpepper.com, this piece was made to “memorialize Maddie Milner, a trumpet player in the Bayfield, CO High School band, who passed on doing what she loved in a skiing accident her freshman year.” 

The final piece of the night, entitled “Danse Bohemien”, was also by Randall Strandridge. This was another high-energy piece with a thrilling xylophone part. This concert closer definitely had a lasting impression on the audience. 

With the end of the mid-winter concert, the band will prepare for District Music competition which will be held on April 22, and their spring concert, on May 4.