Senior Side: A Different Perspective

Jessyca Garza, Staff Writer

While high school is a lot about experiencing new things such as friendships, going to games, going into a new level of education, and even maybe finding your first love, there’s a whole other side of it. For example, going to college classes, finding out what you want to do for the rest of your life, and finally leaving behind who and what you’ve invested in for the past four years. 

Many underclassmen have siblings that are seniors. Some of them have very close relationships, and spend a lot of time with each other on the weekends and during the school days. However, with having a senior sibling, you must understand the fact that they will leave soon if they’re going to college, and the person you’ve spent your entire life with will no longer be at home. 

I interviewed three underclassmen that have siblings that are seniors from Alliance High School, and asked them a few questions about how different they think it will be when their sibling leaves for college, after being with them their whole life. I additionally interviewed another underclassmen that has a sibling that graduated and left for college last year, and asked them how different it felt when they left, and how they coped with it. 

When asked the question, “How do you think you’ll feel when your sibling leaves for college?” Sophomore, Cyanne Voigt, who has a senior sibling, Thalia Gonzalez, said, “I think it will be weird not having her at home, but I’ve been through it with two of my older brothers.” She added, “Me and Thalia are pretty close and I would consider her my best friend. I think it will be different not being able to hangout with her as much.”

Sophomore, Avah Steggall, who has a senior sibling Kali Steggall said, “Well I think it will be very different. I won’t have anyone to steal clothes from anymore, and nobody to talk to when I need something.” She further stated, “Me and my older sister Kali are pretty close, and tell each other mostly everything. I think being without her will be different because I won’t have anyone for advice. She has always been there for me and I have always been there for her, so not having that will take some getting used to.”

Sophomore, Emma Wood, who has a senior sibling, Cameron Wood, added, “I think I will feel a little lonely since my brother is my only sibling and it will definitely be quieter around the house without him here.” She also mentioned, “We aren’t very close, but I still think it’s going to affect me because it’s nice to have someone around just to talk to when I’m bored. It’s also nice to relate to someone, because we joke about things that are happening on social media and stuff like that.”

Personally, me being a sophomore with my senior sister Crystal Garza, I feel as if a part of me will leave with her when she goes to college. Me and her have been connected at the hip for as long as I can remember. When she leaves I don’t know how I will react because of how close we are, but I know there’s always technology to stay connected. I definitely feel like being alone will affect me since she’s my only sibling and it will take some time to get used to. 

As for the underclassmen who has already been through the struggle of their senior sibling leaving for college, Riley Lawrence had a few things to say when asked the questions: “How did you cope with it?” and “How was it when you said goodbye for the last time?” Riley, who has a sister in her freshman year of college, Aubrie Lawrence, said, “I coped by remembering that she was pursuing something she loved and that I would see her soon.” Riley added, “It was very hard the night before she left for college because I knew I was going to miss her a lot and I was sad that I wouldn’t get to help her move in. We talk every couple of days because she is very busy with the newspaper, and it’s very exciting to see her when she’s on break.”

Ultimately, growing up with a sibling that is going to college after not being apart from them your whole life is difficult and a very sudden change that happens. But if this situation may be happening to you, a lot of underclassmen are going through the same situation. So while you have your sibling with you, enjoy every moment while it lasts because in a few months, it won’t be the same.