Prom Preparation: Tanning Beds

Nikki Haller, Staff Writer

With prom right around the corner, there’s a lot to prepare for. Prom preparation can include tasks such as finding a dress, making dinner reservations planning for after-prom, and many more things. However, one thing that a majority of AHS students have on their prom preparation list is tanning, which many students hope will help to achieve that “golden glow” look.

There are many ways people choose to tan, but one of the most popular ways is tanning beds. Many AHS students prefer this method. Tanning beds are indoor tanning that involves using a horizontal device that produces ultraviolet (UV) radiation to produce a cosmetic tan. Tanning beds are typically found in salons, gyms, spas, hotels and sporting facilities.

McKenzie Robinson is one of the many AHS students that has tanning on her prom check list. She says, “I’m tanning for prom because I think I look better tan and look better in my dress. I think they can be harmful if you do them all the time, but if you are only doing it for a special occasion it’ll be fine. I also think they’re beneficial if you only use them every now and then.”

There are as many advantages to tanning beds, as are there disadvantages. Some advantages can include an increase in confidence, which can lead to  improved appearance, increase of mood, and improved energy. Tanning beds are good for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Seasonal Affective Disorder is a depression associated with lack of light. However, SAD can be treated through light therapy. Tanning beds can also help with acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It can also cause a base tan, which can protect the skin from getting sunburned.

So although tanning beds can be beneficial in some ways, it can also be harmful. Tanning beds can be harmful because they can cause significant damage to your skin. Tans are caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which is known for being a cancer-causing ray. UV radiation can also cause premature skin aging, (wrinkles, sagging skin, brown spots and more.) Many times, tanning results in skin cell damage.

Although you might like the way your skin looks darker, tanning in beds might not be worth the risks. There are other alternatives to get your “golden glow” look, such as self-tanning lotions, spray tans, or body oils. You can still achieve your desired look, without putting yourself at the risk that comes with using tanning beds.