iPhone vs. Samsung

Thalia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Recently I have switched from being a Samsung user to an iPhone user. Switching to the opposing side was a very big deal. Of course I was very excited, finally all of the “your phone is so lame” comments would subside and I wouldn’t have to say “I have a Samsung” every time someone asked for a charger. Having a Samsung caused all the many iPhone users to automatically think I was someone to argue with on which phone is better, but really neither of us knew which was better because we each had one sided arguments.

When it really comes down to the phones themselves, which is really better? The newest iPhone, the iPhone X, is a pretty pricey phone starting at $999 for the 64GB version and $1,149 for the 256GB version. Where as the Samsung S9 is still sitting around its usual price range, $720 for the 64GB model. That about $280 less than the iPhone X. Although the Samsung S9 does not have the 256GB model, there is a slot for a microSD card that adds up to 400GB.

Of course, people want the best camera. Using them on a daily for capturing the best moments in life. The iPhone X has a seven-megapixel front-facing TrueDepth camera and for the rear facing camera, it is a 12-megapixel with dual optical image stabilization. The Samsung S9 does not have the dual lens on the rear camera and its camera is automatically trumped by the iPhone X, but luckily there is a Samsung S9 Plus for just $840. The Samsung S9 Plus has an eight-megapixel front facing camera and a dual 12-megapixel rear facing camera. There is also a version of portrait mode on the Samsung S9 Plus, but reviews say that it’s not as good of quality as the iPhone X.

Both phones have a glass front and back, looking almost identical. Both also got rid of the home button to increase screen size. Samsung had already done this with the previous S8 model. With doing this the iPhone got rid of the fingerprint scanner, but now has facial recognition. Where as the Samsung S9 and S9 Plus both support facial recognition and has a fingerprint scanner on the back below the camera. The most noticeable difference on the outside is that the rear camera of the iPhone X is found on the left side of the phone where the the rear camera of the Samsung S9 is found in the center top of the phone. The iPhone X does not have the earphone jack, where the Samsung S9 and S9 Plus do. The iPhone X and Samsung S9 both have a 5.2 inch screen, but the S9 Plus has a 6.2 inch screen.

In my experience, both Apple and Samsung are very good. Both phones are very similar now with their newest models. I’ve had my iPhone for a while now, and the most I have to complain about is it feels like this phone takes longer to charge and the cellular data seems slower than my old Samsung. I will admit that it does feel nice to finally “fit in” with everyone else because now I’m not always left out of the group chat iMessage games.

After looking at all of this data it is still hard to tell which phone is considered better, so I went to the students of Alliance High. I made a poll to see what phone most students liked better iPhone or Samsung, and this is what they said: