• SENIORS!! Turn in a quote, baby picture, and senior picture to Safyre Yearling!

• Great job this season, volleyball girls!

• Seniors! Log onto Naviance to view all available scholarships!

Merry Thanksgiving?

Thalia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Autumn Hoff
It is finally that time of year where all you hear about is Christmas, but it is only November. Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and no one seems to be saying a word about it. There is only talk about Christmas. Thanksgiving seems to be like the forgotten middle child between Halloween and Christmas, why is this?

Thanksgiving is a national holiday that was first celebrated in 1621 to give thanks for the blessing of the harvest and the preceding year. The first celebration of thanksgiving took three days, but now we can’t even take one because people are so caught up in what the sales might be the next day. Kids are quick to write Christmas lists for their parents at the beginning of November because of Black Friday. Black Friday is a shopping day to mark the unofficial beginning of the Christmas shopping season, but why is it so soon? Some stores such as Wal-mart and Target start Black Friday sales as early as Thanksgiving day. November is the month of thanks, not Christmas sales.

Retail stores are very quick to start bringing out Christmas decorations as early as September. Halloween hasn’t happened yet, let alone Thanksgiving. Seeing Santa Claus next to a smiling turkey and a skeleton may not have been on your agenda, but that’s what you are going to see as early as October. Even neighborhood homes will have Christmas decorations out the morning after Halloween. Seeing a deflated spider next to an inflated reindeer has become more of a norm.

This year has been no different, when walking into a store in early November all you see is the Christmas deals. There are Christmas socks, Christmas trees, Christmas lights, and Christmas wreaths littering the aisles of stores. All around school you can see Christmas socks and Christmas sweaters already being worn. People just can’t seem to stay away from the Christmas season, even if it means skipping other major holidays. So, will the years to come have a different outcome, or will we slowly be seeing Thanksgiving disappear?

I asked some of the students from AHS which holiday they would rather celebrate.

.