Social Media: Why So Many Apps?

Taylor Manion, Staff Writer

Media: Why So Many Apps?

Is there such thing as too many apps? Teenagers today have as many as six social media accounts. Students spend a lot of time on technology whether it be a phone, an Ipad, a Kindle, or computers. Many parents may ask themselves why their kids have so many apps that distract them from everyday life. Based on a survey that was sent to the junior class at Alliance High School, 90.4% have Snapchat, 81.9% have Instagram, 85.5% have Facebook, and 67.5% have Twitter.  The survey also pointed out that a “Finsta” account on Instagram is less popular, only 18.1% of kids had one. The AfterSchool app had the lowest percentage of use with only 12% kids having it.

The app Snapchat had a new update a while ago that includes streaks. Streaks are the number of days a pair of people can add up by only sending random pictures. Streaks, in a way, are a competition of who can have the highest streak with each other, rather than an actual form of communication.  Students admit that they don’t even talk or text some of the people they have streaks with, admitting that they only send a capital S or “streaks” on them. They’ve become a priority to people so that they don’t lose their streak by not texting them the certain picture.

Most students that use Facebook, use it to get information about activities or just for a class page in general. It is a good app for coaches, especially since so many teenagers have it already they can post practice times and their schedules to their players. The survey showed that 84.9% of the junior class have it.  

Many kids have apps that they don’t even use. The AfterSchool app for example notifies people without them having the app, just to notify them that an anonymous person has commented or complimented them on the app. Students may get it so that they have better access to see what was said by the random person.

Students may have multiple social media apps that consume their lives; however, not all of these apps are used by everyone. Although some apps are solely used for information that’s needed for activities, others are used to keep up with friends and family.