School Carnival On Its Way

School Carnival On Its Way

Peyton Stoike, Staff Writer

The Parent Advisory Group of Alliance is putting on a school carnival on March 6, 2015. The carnival will run from 5:30 to 8:30pm. The carnival will feature many aspects such as games, concessions, face paintings, and a spaghetti feed put on by the AHS band. The spaghetti feed tickets are seven dollars and are available from any band member. Carnival tickets from are for sale from now until March 2, 2015 and are five for a dollar. After that, the tickets are four for a dollar.

In the summer of 2016, the Alliance High School band will be taking a trip to Washington D.C. The band takes this trip every four years. They play in the Fourth of July parade, and also spend a few days in New York City touring and enjoying the trip. The band members are selling spaghetti feed tickets to fundraise money for their trip expenses.

The Parent Group held a poster contest for all grades. The art teachers judged all of the posters and chose a winner from each grade. There was not an entry for the seventh graders, so there were two freshman and two second grade, one from every school, poster winners. Each winner got tickets that they can use to play games at the carnival. The winners from kindergarten to senior include Lillian Bunch, Maci Cornish, Jayla Grant, Emma Machado, Candence Dubray, Brianna Lecarbo, Winston Woerner, Calysta Trevino, Todd Gilroy, Shae Toof, Chloe Herrera, Alyshia Benda, McKenzie Allen, and Anna Vogel.

Plenty of high school students have volunteered to help run the games and other booths that will be there. The AHS cheerleaders are running the face-painting booth. They will get a donation to their squad for doing so. Some of the games include boot toss, basketball shooting, ring toss, cow chip poker, egg carry, giant operation, and a soccer ball game. There will also be a bouncy house, a petting zoo, and a concession stand. Most of the activities will be in the gym. The petting zoo, bouncy house, and cow chip poker are outside depending on the weather. The Lil Critters 4-H group is running the petting zoo. The cow for cow chip poker is being donated and ran by FFA member, Jacob Krause. The money made from the carnival will fund various projects that the Parent Group does such as Muffins for Moms, Donuts for Dads, reading competitions at the middle school, and teacher appreciation week throughout the district.  Sponsors for this event are Ackerman AG, Posh/Posh Kids, Bloedorn Lumber, Nebraska Total Office, YMCA, First National Bank, Punisher’s Law Enforcement Club, Redman’s, Monsters Ink, Grocery Kart, Pepsi, Kaiser Tire, Krazy Lady Bakery, Mane Street, Head Start, Jessica Fryda–Mary Kay, Michelle Garrett—Avon, Jacque Bair—Younique, The Flower Patch, 4H Little Critters, Miss Alliance/Miss Panhandle, Hood Family, Cassondra Schreiner, Shauna Branstiter, and Planet Bounce. These vendors donated either an item for silent auction, prizes, cash, concessions, discount on product such as bounce house or concessions.

“We wanted to get the high school students involved for two reasons.  One, I knew they needed volunteer hours for their careers class and I needed volunteers to make our carnival a success,” said Sherri Stoike, the president of the Parent Group, “this takes care of us both.  And two, we want to bridge the gap between the high schoolers and the elementary students.  The elementary students see these high schoolers at games, matches, rodeos, competitions, cadetting, etc. and look up them.  This gives them a chance to see them up close and personal.”