Planning for the Future

Anthony Hare, Staff Writer

College. It’s something that induces both eagerness and anxiety in the average high school student. Between the ACT, choosing what to study, and just picking what college to attend, it’s enough to give us high schoolers a headache. Luckily for us, we have Naviance, a program introduced to the high school last December. This program covers and condenses everything a student needs to know and do before college into one easy to use website.

The part that is most valuable to the average junior is the ACT Prep Me course. This course is so beneficial because it is personalized. After the initial diagnostic tests, it helps the student by preparing a study progression that is tailored to help them out in their weak spots. It is also accommodating of all schedules. If the user has two weeks before the test, it will present a course for them that is more abridged, but still covers the necessities. If they have two months to prepare, it will give them a much more exhaustive course.

Naviance also helps it’s users choose what they will want to study and how to get there. Through multiple aptitude tests, it will helps them decide what would interest them the most based upon their likes and interests. Once they have an idea of what they like, it shows them the steps taken by people with similar occupational interests through the Roadtrip Nation section of the website.

This website also helps students pick the right college. Depending upon what they are going to study and their merit in high school, it will give them the very best choices for their education based upon price, school size, acceptance rates, and location. Naviance also streamlines the process of sending in test scores and transcripts to potential colleges. If paying for college is an issue, scholarships are easier than ever to find due to the catalog of possible scholarships listed on the website. This section can also be tailored to meet individual needs.

Naviance is a program that is currently being spearheaded by Mrs. Misty Graham and Mrs. Shannon Garwood, but over twenty Alliance High staff members were recently trained on the program during the “Tech”-cellence day on September 26.

This program can also be used post-high school, so as long as the program is carried by the school, alumni’s data will be saved.

Here’s a link to the Naviance website: https://connection.naviance.com/family-connection/auth/login/?hsid=allhs