Winter Sports Beginning

With fall sports slowly finishing everyone is getting prepared for winter sports. These sports are boys’ basketball, boys’ wrestling, girls’ basketball, and something AHS hasn’t seen in a while girls’ wrestling!

Dalton Holst is the boys’ basketball coach. Coach Holst decided to coach boys basketball because he loves being around the game, and getting able to work with the kids. Holst stated, “I enjoy the excitement of the game and how fast-paced it can be. Any game can be won or lost, and that is what makes games and the season so much fun.” Holst is trying to get things organized with early practices and meetings.  When football gets wrapped up the team will start with some open gyms and coaches will try to get finalized dates for tryouts. Coach Holst’s goal for this season is to be competitive in every game and end up with a winning record. Coach Holst said, “If we put ourselves in a good position to win, we can have a shot at a postseason run at the end of the year.” Coach Holst is extremely excited for this season because new players are coming up into the program. He stated, “I am excited to be able to coach with some amazing players and great staff. I can’t wait to get the ball rolling.” Holst wants to be able to incorporate more of a defined offense with better movement and screening. Coach Holst stated, “ I think we can do a good job of playing ‘small ball’ with an intensity on defense.” He also mentioned that the team will always change things from year to year so they will see what is working early on and what isn’t.

Nick Myers is the boys’ wrestling coach. Coach Myers told me that wrestling chose him, he was in Junior high going into high school he could’ve gone either way playing basketball or wrestling. Myers decided on wrestling because of his father;  his father was a member of a State Title team. After Myers’s last wrestling match, he never anticipated being involved with wrestling to the level he is now. Through college exploring various career options he landed on teaching. Coach Myers said, “When I interviewed for the 7th grade history position in 2014 I was fortunate that the middle school wrestling coach position was open and that I had wrestling experience. I am grateful that I was able to get into coaching wrestling at the junior high level, helping out at the high school under the tutelage of two great men, mentors, and friends, Duane Dobson and Scott Ruff. When Scott decided to step away, it was humbling to have his blessing to become the next Head Coach of Alliance Wrestling.” Right now it’s all communication and logistics, Myers is trying to get fundraising cards lined out which usually takes a month all while doing open mats scheduling. Myers stated, “ I’m just in the mode of being a squirrel running around collecting various acorns.” Myers’s goal for this season is to create a team that fights in the shade, supports one another, and reaches their individual and collective potential. Myers said, “ I am trying to empower these young people with the self-confidence that they can attack situations and be proactive, rather than reactive, in their lives beyond school and the mat.” Coach Myers is ecstatic to get the 23-24 campaign underway! Myers stated, “This group has endured tremendous trials, and it is going to be a special gift to watch their grit and perseverance pay off in various ways. This group has grown together and it was very apparent this last summer at UNK Team Camp where we had the largest group in quite a while, and we went 7-2 in duals, placing 7th out of 32 teams. Beyond the “product of winning,” I saw a team that fought through positions, had grit, and had a sincere collective joy for the success of their teammates.” Coach Myers is looking forward to that attitude and effort continuing through February and beyond! In wrestling, there are always slight changes that get made. A new drill or a new thought process through a technique. Myers said, “There will always be some changes in the way the coaches teach a couple of positions, but nothing earth-shattering. The constant battle on my end is to make practice as efficient and effective as possible to put the team in the best position to be successful.”

Stephen Crile is the girls’ basketball coach. Coach Crile decided to coach basketball due to his passion for the sport itself. Basketball and sports in general taught him a lot about life and how to handle hard situations. Crile stated, “ I also happened to have some really great coaches while growing up who were great role models and leaders. This inspired me to do the same.” There is no particular reason why Coach Crile coached the girls rather than coaching the boys’ team. The girl’s basketball team started preparing for the new season as soon as last year’s district final ended. Crile said, “ We started to hold open gyms in the spring and those continued into summer weights and summer ball.  Over the past two months, we have had open gyms in the morning so our girls can come in and knock some rust off their skills.” Outside of all the open gyms and summer ball Coach Crile and his assistant coaches have been going over pre-season information that needs to get done. The standards for the 23-24 team are going to be high with reaching a district final last year; the team wants to do that again! Crile said, “ We have some key personnel returning from last year’s squad.” Crile is looking at the girls to fill spots and to step into new roles to help get back to where they ended last season, if not further. Crile stated, “ I am always excited for the season to start, I am excited to see our growth from the offseason as basketball players, but also leaders.” For the girls to make it as far as they did last year they need to defend the perimeter better.  Some of the games the girls lost last year were due to other teams making three-pointers and that comes down to the coaches adjusting their defense. Crile said, “Our girls did exactly what we wanted them to do. Our scouts were just off on those games, we still need to take better care of the ball and not turn it over as much.” Crile just wanted to see the confidence in the girls keep growing. 

Madeline Girard is the girl’s wrestling coach. Coach Girard decided to apply to be the head girls wrestling coach at AHS because she couldn’t think of a better opportunity to bring the passion that she had for the sport, along with her personal experience to these young women wrestlers. Girard stated, “I grew up watching my cousins and siblings wrestle then over time I developed a deep desire to become a wrestler. With being a spectator and a wrestler, I could not only be relatable and empathetic, but also impactful as a coach.” That is when Coach Girard decided that she was going to take the job as a women’s wrestling head coach. Girard is excited to be the girls’ first wrestling coach but she is also nervous. She has assisted Coach Wells for the past few years at the middle school with the junior high wrestling program, so she has had the opportunity to watch and help with that. Girard said, “The nervousness is preparing me for the practices instead of assisting, and coaching the best techniques that are most beneficial for the girls and the program we are trying to develop here at Alliance High”. Being a women’s coach for a women’s sport brings and keeps ladies in the program. Girard stated, “ I am lucky I have Coach Myers to guide me through any questions along with Coach Wells and a plethora of community members who are supportive.” Coach Girard just hosted her first girls meeting for pre-season. She has gone over all the expectations and several details that they will encounter throughout the season. Girard stated, “As a teacher, I think coaching is very similar, you can prepare and have an idea of what you are going to coach but until November 13 rolls around it is just thinking about what I plan on implementing along with different ideas and workouts I’d like to try.” Coach Girard feels it will be a learning experience for herself and the girls along with trial and error. Coach Girard’s goal for this season is to create a program that empowers young women wrestlers. In addition, they walk away with more confidence, building on their character, and a whole new skill set. She also hopes to create a program that brings enjoyment, mental toughness, unity, and of course some future state champions! Coach Girard said, “ I am excited for the season to start. It will be a change of pace and adjusting my usual schedule. I have excitement and apprehension but that is to be expected, I feel, as a new head coach of a brand-new program.” Coach Girard wants the boy and girl wrestlers, although separated, to be as one unit. She wants them to support each other and be excited about each other’s successes and empathetic of the losses. Girard said, “Most of the practices will be separate but when we are at meets together they know we come as one team, one family, and one goal!”

The winter sports coaches are all excited to get rolling with the new season. Good luck to everyone who tries out for a winter sport, I hope you love it and have an amazing time! Let’s hope all the teams do well and make something out of this season!