Pre-Season Boys Basketball

Pre-Season Boys Basketball

Jamie Brooks, Staff Writer

Interviewed Coach Holst also known as Mr. Holst about how he wanted his basketball season to go. As every basketball coach, I’m sure you want to win every game and go to state, but Coach Holst knows there are going to be some losses. Coach Holst said that “he thinks his biggest weakness in basketball is lack of coaching experience, but he thinks that comes with time, being a coach and teaching.” One goal the team has for each other is to compete in every game and competition they have no matter what. They don’t want to see any of their teammates and/ or coaches not giving a 100%! They don’t want to see them just give up during practice or in a game. One thing the team could improve on would be team chemistry and bonding skills. He thinks his team has gotten better but that is just something you are always working on. Especially with the wins and losses during the season. Another thing that Coach Holst said they could improve on would be their intensity on defense. He said, “These two are the most important because you can see both on the court during games and they are always improving each day.” One of the biggest challenges for the team right now is working offensively and playing teams who have a different defensive system from theirs, but the team is hard at work trying to improve their defense system. I asked Coach Holst if he has any pre-game rituals and he said, “when I was in high school I did but I don’t have any right now. I guess we never know we might create a winning streak so there might be some created.” A little piece of advice he would give to his players is “you’re always going to get better when you spend your time in the gym with your teammates, you can always get better at bonding and team chemistry.” I hope the boys and coach Holst have a good season and make many wins!