Sprouting Into Spring Sports

Luxie West, Staff Writer

The Alliance High School spring sports teams are sprouting up this season. Practices are underway and their first few contests have already taken place. Girl’s tennis, boy’s golf, and track and field have all gotten a good start to their season this year, especially due to the recent nice weather.

The Alliance boy’s golf team is coached by Ryan Waters. There are 22 boys out for golf, and the top ten travel to invites. After two talented seniors graduated last year, there is a lot of competition for the five varsity spots. Those vying for the spots are Cade Stephenson, Preston Pohlman, Cameron Collins, Dylan Horton, and Tyler Girard.  

“This year will be more of a transition year for us. I think some of our guys will be able to compete at some of the tournaments, but overall we will be looking to get better as both a team and individuals over the course of the season. Our freshmen are pretty new to the sport of golf, many of them never really having played before. So far they are doing a good job learning the basics of the game. I’m looking forward to seeing exactly where each of them are at once we get a few of our scrimmages in,” Coach Waters stated.

The Alliance High School track and field team has done very well since the season has started. The coaches include Nathan Lanik (sprints), Joshua Dean (jumps), Angie Hiemstra (long distance), Matt Bloyd (throwing), Greg Friesen (hurdles), Rick Ridenour (volunteer high jump) and Steve Nelson (pole vault). The team has competed very well at both the Chadron Indoor Meet, receiving second place, and at the Sidney Meet, taking home sixth.

“I have high hopes that every kid will be better at the end of the season.  Better in all aspects of life.  My desire is that we have a team mentality where we compete for each other.  Sometimes the sport of track is misconceived as an individual sport, but in actuality, it is a team sport where you need athletes to compete in 17 different events to come up with a point total better than the competing schools.  My goal is to have kids competing in all 17 events at the highest level possible,” Coach Lanik stated.

The AHS girl’s tennis team is coached by the head coach, Kathy Brock, and assistant coach, Sandy Blankenship. Linda Dean, who has been a volunteer coach for many years, also helps the team out daily at the practices.

“I expect a lot of improvement and competition this year out of my girls. I hope that we can get past the first matches at state. I have some really good players. My number one doubles and number one singles are very solid. I hope to see one of my varsity players place at an invite with a first or second place. My newcomers are doing very well; a new sophomore has made varsity, and I have a freshman very close to the top six,” Coach Brock stated about her team.

The SPUD wishes the spring sports teams good luck, and hope that they have many successes during their season.