Spring Athletics Have Started

McKenna Romick, Staff Writer

All spring sports have officially started and this week is the first week that all athletes were expected to attend practices. If you are an athlete who plays a winter sport, you have a week off from when your winter sport ends until you must show up at practice. The spring sports you can participate in at Alliance High School are track, girls tennis, and boys golf.

Track’s first day of official practice was Tuesday, February 1. The head/ throwing coach for track is Mr. Kramer. The assistant coaches include, Mrs. Hiemstra, the sprint coach, Mr. Friesen, the coach for hurdles, Mr. Lanik, the long distance coach, Mr. Nelson, the pole vault coach, Mr. Dean, the long jump and triple jump coach, and an assistant, volunteer coach, Coach Pilfold. This year, thirty girls and thirty boys are out for track. The first track meet is the Chadron indoor invite on Saturday, March 19 at 10:00 AM.

Girls tennis also had their first practice on Tuesday, February 1. This year, tennis has a huge team of twenty-three girls with only seven returning. The girls are coached by head coach, Ms. Underwood and assistant coach, Mrs. Blankenship,. Tennis also has two assistant volunteer coaches: Linda Dean and Darren Emmerick. Mr. Emmerick is a professional tennis player from Bridgeport just spending his time to give some extra help and advice to the girls. Tennis has their first match on March 29, in Gering at 2:00 P.M.

Boy’s golf didn’t officially start until Monday, March 7, because head coach, Mr. Waters, is also an assistant boy’s basketball coach and gave himself a week off between seasons. Coach Waters is the only coach for golf and as of right now, he has around twenty boys. The first Golf invite is in Bridgeport at 4:00 P.M. on March 24.