The Impact of Alcohol on Teens

Maycee Quick, Editor

While teenagers are afraid of the consequences that drinking alcohol has, many ignore the risks. Getting caught drinking can lead to high schoolers getting pulled out of activities or events, but that is not the whole point. Alcohol has many detrimental effects to the body that are often forgotten. Alcohol neglects the mind, the body, the heart, and the organs. 

Although alcohol is harmful to everyone, it is more harsh on adolescents. The brain isn’t fully developed until 25 years old; therefore, teenagers who choose alcohol are damaging their developing brains. This can lead to abnormal brain function, memory loss, and loss of coordination. Alcohol also impacts the nerve cells in the brain, making communication throughout the body harder. Alcohol can even cause the cells of the liver to destruct, which can result in liver cancer.

Avoiding alcohol as a teen is vital for health. For athletes, alcohol can disrupt muscle growth, and one party ruins two weeks of practice. It will cause heavy breathing and ruin performance. Students who drink will suffer in class as their memory begins to alter and as their brain function slows. The areas of the brain are so affected by alcohol that performance is disrupted. Alcohol has no benefits and instead is only destructive to the body. 

Kids who begin drinking an absurd amount in their teenage years are more likely to be affected by alcoholism in their adulthood. Alcoholism is a disease that kills people every year. It starts early and is hard to beat. When people drink too much alcohol too often their body becomes dependent on it and they can’t live without it. People and families are affected every day by alcoholism. 

Watching what goes in the body is significant to achieve a healthy mind and body. Parties are perceived among high schoolers as something fun and daring, but there are multiple different alternatives to having fun. Alcohol is a bad habit that is not worth the destruction. What is done now, will affect the future in the long run. If teens make the right choices now, they’ll thank themselves later.