Mr. Nate Lanik: Counselor

Maycee Quick, Staff Writer

Nate Lanik is the new counselor at Alliance High School. Mr. Lanik has spent the last 13 years at AHS teaching math. He graduated from Hemingford High School in 1999, and went to college at Chadron State College. He graduated from CSC in 2004, and spent his first year of teaching in Guernsey, Wyoming, before moving to Alliance.

Mr. Lanik plans to help guide students to success, set 4 year plans with the students, and focus on scholarships. He aims to promote post high school opportunities, and he also wants to challenge the seniors to see how much scholarship money they can earn. His passion is working and helping kids, so although he is the counselor, he still wants to get into the classroom. His favorite part about his job thus far is class schedules. He says that it is like one big sudoku puzzle! He also loves communicating with the kids and what they want to achieve.

He says that he is extremely excited to work with everyone in the office. He also says the biggest change from being a teacher to a counselor is the structure. He has gone from 8 periods to now having a lot of meetings.

Mr. Lanik is happily married to Jenny Lanik, and has two kids, Espen and Brinlee. He loves sports and spending time with his family, so it is no surprise that his favorite hobbies are watching the Huskers, Rockies, or the Broncos with his family. He also enjoys playing cards, and he coaches the Alliance High cross country team and track and field.