Candy Land

Candy+Land

McKenna Romick, Staff Writer

Last week was homecoming for Alliance High. This year’s homecoming theme was Candy Land. Monday the 5th, the students did not have school due to Labor Day but the school was filled with small groups of each class decorating their halls. The freshmen’s hallway theme was Gumdrop Island. The sophomore’s theme was Lollypop Lane. Licorice lagoon was the junior’s theme. The senior’s hallways theme was Candy Castle. The winning hallway was announced Thursday at the pep-rally, and the prize went to the senior class of 2017.

Tuesday was Nerd day where students dressed like a nerd. The students were on normal schedule due to the cancellation of mini olympics. Tuesday night, the softball and volleyball girls both had away games. The softball girls started their game against Scottsbluff, but got postponed until Saturday due to weather. The volleyball girls played Chadron, losing in three sets.

Wednesday was Swedish Fish day, the students dressed up as fishermen. The students had a normal school day with coronation and the burning of the A that evening starting at 6. The winners for the freshmen attendants were Macy Quick and Harley Hill.  Ryley Rolls and Mason Hemistra were selected sophomore attendants. Junior attendants were Haley Hoxworth and Parker Knapp. Second attendants were Karley Alvarado and Brendan Brehmer. Emmy Green and Buster Willson were selected for first attendants. Peyton Stoike was crowned Homecoming Queen and Tyler Adamson was crowned homecoming king.

Thursday was Starburst day, where students dressed like their favorite star. The students were on activity schedule making the classes shorter for the pep-rally. To start the pep-rally, the AHS’s amazing drum line stood on stage and wowed the crowd. Each activity had two members come up and talk a little about what they do and why they would love for more people to join. The volleyball team and the Dawg Pound went head to head for the annual lip sync battle. Volleyball had a great performance with a High School Musical theme, but lost to the Dawg Pound’s creative mix of old and new overly popular songs.

Friday was blue Jolly Rancher day. Students wore blue and white to represent school colors. Students had a regular Friday schedule with the homecoming parade to follow at 2:30. Kick off for the football game started at 7:00. The bulldogs had a very well played game against Holdrege. The final score was Alliance 34, Holdrege 7.

The homecoming dance was semi-formal on Saturday night. The dance was held at the high school in the commons starting at 8:00 p.m and ending at 11:00 pm. One more great Alliance High homecoming for the books!