Throwers Don’t Have Finish Lines

Throwers Dont Have Finish Lines

Kathleen Kuzmic, Staff Writer

This year’s Best of the West track and field events were held on Tuesday, April 25, at Scottsbluff’s Bearcat Stadium. This meet was designed for the top varsity athletes of the panhandle, including Sariah Grant from Alliance High.

Both competitors and audience members endured the bitter winds and low temperatures brought Tuesday night; however, few were effected by such conditions. The excitement of the event was enough to distract one’s mind, as the competitions were both tense and exhilarating.

Field events were launched late in the evening, beginning at 4:30 p.m. Like most track meets, the girl’s events were held first, followed by the boys. Many athletes qualified and participated in this track meet’s field events. One particular athlete, Sariah Grant, attended and placed second and third in the shot put and discus competition. She is among the many regional leaders in each of the throwing events with personal records of 39′  1″ in the Shot and 124′ 2″ in the Discus.

Sariah’s track and field career began in the ninth grade. She participated in the sport for all four years she has been in high school, growing better each year as her hard work and determination paid off through every track meet. She even attended State Track placing 7th in shot put last spring.

On the morning of the Best of the West competition, Sariah took a large step in her athletic career, by signing a Letter of Intent for Hastings College to compete in Track and Field. After a long process of thought and discussion with both her friends and family, Sariah finally made the decision she believes will be best for her future. Now that Best of the West is out of the way, Sariah is continuing to compete at meets to return to State again.