The Celebration of Valentine’s Day

Background photo credits to Ian Gavan

Tatum Bossell, Staff Writer

Valentine’s day is celebrated on February 14. The reason Valentine’s day is a holiday is to show love to those whom you care for. Valentine’s day was first celebrated during the year 496. But, it became most popular during the 17th century. The holiday is celebrated all around the world. It is mainly celebrated in the United States, Britain, Canada, and Australia, and it is also celebrated in other countries. The countries include Argentina, France, Mexico, South Korea, and the Philippines. It is mostly celebrated in the Philippines.

Every year, the Alliance High School student council hosts a fundraiser. The school sells Hershey bars and roses. The Hershey bars are two dollars and the roses are three dollars. The students can purchase them for themselves or they can even send them to someone in the school. The last day to purchase Valentine’s gifts was February 9. This gives students enjoyment for the holiday. All proceeds will go to the Mark Custer scholarship.

Valentine’s Day is mainly known for sending red roses. They are very popular today, but back then they weren’t as popular. So when somebody was sent roses, it was very special. All flowers represent different types of messages. Talking about gifts, another popular gift that is sent on this holiday is chocolate boxes. The first chocolate box was introduced and sold in 1861. More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolates are sold each year. That almost equals to 58 million pounds of chocolate a year.

Chocolate cocoa was said to be the food of the gods. Chocolate actually releases serotonin and dopamine. It is said this is the reason why it is usually gifted on Valentine’s day. It represents the feeling of being in love. And that is why Valentine’s Day represents the holiday of love and why it can be important to show your love to others on this holiday.