• There will be a mandatory Girls tennis meeting Thursday the 21st right after school.

• Boys district basketball game tonight against Scottsbluff at 6:30. The theme is whiteout!

• Sophomores and Juniors!! Check your email for a message from Mr.Lanik about a leadership opportunity.

• Seniors!! Log into jostens to order your cap and gown

• Seniors!!! Send your senior and baby pictures to Mrs. Brock by April 1!

Rainbows Can’t Exist Without The Rain

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Most people know that the LGBTQ community is for people who want to express their true selves. Not everyone agrees that liking the same gender should be accepted and not everyone has to accept someone who says they’re a boy, even though they were born a girl. Not everyone will always agree with all of the ideals of the community. Some people might disagree with it because they are confused with themselves. Many people simply disagree because they think it’s wrong. Everyone has a different opinion.

There are many different types of sexualities and genders that are noticed by the community. Honestly, there are too many to name; however, the main ones are in the title or acronym. LGBTQA+ is the acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer, and Asexual/Aromantic. The other alignments are noticed by the plus sign at the end of the title. Originally this title only included LGBT. As time went on, there has been a lot of other acronyms added that might be controversial but covers everything in the community.

During an interview with a member of the community, certain questions came up regarding: Is being who you are a choice? What is meant by being in the “closet? and What does coming out really mean? The interviewee explained that their sexuality was not a choice because you really can’t control who you love. They also explained that the “closet” is when no one knows your true self, and even sometimes, you do not know yourself. This leads to coming out. After figuring out who you are, you tell or show the people you trust the most.

Sometimes when people come out to their families, they get disowned or are forced to hide themselves. This kind of “abuse” leads to internal insecurities. Many time this leads to the issue of suicide. A national study states that 40% of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt, and 92% of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25. Something needs to be done about these shocking numbers.

Everyone on this earth is different, and it’s okay to have your own opinion and beliefs, but, when people put someone down just for being themselves, it is wrong. People need to learn to let people be who they want. Those who identify as gay, transgender, etc, aren’t hurting anything. Their decision doesn’t affect other people’s life. The only thing anyone wants from the LGBTQ+ community is equality and peace.

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Hey, my name is Da'Nautica Thomas. I’m 16 years old. I’m a Junior at AHS. This is my first year of writing for the SPUD. I hope to get better as a...