One Last Story: My Senior Farewell

Safyre Yearling, Editor-in-Chief

I have scrapped several rough drafts of this final piece. The first draft, I felt as if I was not getting the words I wanted to across. In the second, I felt like I did not add the proper emotions. The third, fourth, and fifth all had the same unfortunate turnout. Now, with only days of my high school career remaining, I feel like I am in the right mindset to write my senior farewell with complete honesty.

This is it. In eight days, I will walk through the hallways of Alliance High School one last time as a student. Five days after that, I will walk across the stage at graduation. Some of my peers will go straight to work, some will go to college, others have enlisted in the military. No matter the route taken, May 13 will be the last time that we are all together ever again.

Looking back, I always thought saying goodbye would be easy; however, as May 13 draws closer, I am beginning to feel it all. I spent two years of my life devoted to the cheerleading team, where I made lifelong friends who turned into sisters. I learned and embraced the feeling of helping others through my three years in Key Club. National Honor Society taught me that it is fun to give back to the community. While I was involved in numerous extracurricular activities, the one that had the most impact on me was Journalism.

I joined the Spud staff my Sophomore year of high school. At first, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. In fact, I only signed up for the class because my best friend was registering for it and I needed an elective course to fill the blank space on my class registration sheet.

Somehow, I ended up getting into the class and in the fall of 2015, I walked into room 206, nervous, yet excited. I walked out overwhelmed and completely unsure whether or not I would fit in.

After attending my first journalism conference in Lincoln, I knew that I had found a second family. We bonded over pizza and the hotel hot tub, both of which became inside jokes for the next three years.

The picture taken at my first NHSPA Journalism Convention, shown in the same location, three years later.

Over the years, I worked my way up the totem pole and eventually became co-editor-in-chief. While it has not always been sunshines and rainbows, Autumn and I have grown to be quite the dynamic duo. Our skills sets complement each other and together, we are a force that cannot be beat.

Through Spud, I have had the opportunity to argue, bond, and become friends with fellow staff writers. BUT, there is one person that I have bonded and argued with the most: Mrs. Digmann.

As the last three years have flown by, I have grown closer and closer to Mrs. Digmann. Trusting people has always been a hard thing for me, but I always felt that I could trust her, no matter the situation.

We may not always get along, but Mrs. Digmann has become the mother I lost so many years ago. Without her, I would not have grown into half the person I am today. I will forever be grateful for each and every bond I created in Spud, but I will thank whatever being is up above for blessing me with Mrs. Digmann.

As the end approaches, I have begun to reminisce on all of the memories I have made with everyone I have encountered through my high school career. With that, I want to say thank you to everyone who has ever been there for me. Thank you to my friends for all of the great memories and picking me up when I’m down. Thank you to my dad and Mandy for being the best teammates a kid could ask for, and my teachers, for working so hard to keep me afloat.

I am honestly going to miss it. I am going to miss my daily arguments with Mr. Wells, the Friday night lights, cheering on the best team in the panhandle, all of it. High school helped me find my passion for American history and has shined a light on the path to the rest of my life.

I will never forget high school and the lessons it taught me, but I am more than ready for the next chapter of my life. I absolutely cannot wait to see all of the amazing things the Class of 2018 will accomplish. This is it seniors!