Computer Club Assembles Computers

Nathaniel Johns assembling his computer

Vicki Joule

Nathaniel Johns assembling his computer

McKenna Romick, Staff Writer

On Saturday, March 19, the Alliance High School Computer Club members got together and assembled a computer. Computer Club is a group of seven students from Alliance High School: Nathaniel Johns, Seth Steele, Jennifer Campos, Jensen Curtis, Tyler Girard, Jacob Krause, and Anthony Hare. They all meet once a month to talk about what projects they would like to take action in, their recent project being assembling a computer. Mrs. Vicki Joule, a science teacher at Alliance High School, is the sponsor of this club.

The past two years the computer club has saved up money to afford parts for each student to make their own computer. With all the parts needed to assemble the computers each cost around $350. Nathaniel Johns, the only student in the club who had experience assembling computers who is also the president of the club, directed the other students through the project. It took around two hours to put all the pieces together, including the time it took to download the operating system. Anthony Hare said, “The most difficult part of assembling the computer was definitely installing the processor into the motherboard. The motherboard is just a plate that connects all of the components of the computer together and to install the processor we had to snap it into place and I thought I was going to crack my motherboard.” Each student had different plans for their computers but they all got to take their computer home.

“It was a lot of fun and I hope to do it more as a hobby in the future.” Anthony explained when asked what his overall thoughts were on assembling a computer. Computer clubs next project is to sell two of the assembled computers to raise money for the Alliance High Schools Student Counsel as a service project. There are multiple clubs at Alliance High doing new, exciting things to help students expand their knowledge in different things they are interested in. We hope to continue to see students get in involved and try new things.posh-business-card