Upward Bound Quarterly Meeting!

Last Saturday, February 11, Upward Bound held their quarterly meeting. Every nine weeks the leaders of our Upward Bound bring together the members to discuss an important upcoming event. During this quarterly meeting, several aspects of the ACT(American College Test) were discussed to explain further and improve the results of this test for the students. 

Due to our and the surrounding school districts requiring high school juniors to take the ACT, it is crucial to understand what to expect to excel the most. Topics such as strategies for answering questions, test rules, and study methods were discussed. When asking the student advisor for Upward Bound, Mr. Coy, why he thought that ACT prep is important he said, “We feel that this workshop is important because this is a Nebraska statewide test for Juniors in high school. This also is a great way to learn more about some helpful tools to better equip our students for the test.” At the end of the discussion, a short quiz was given on the information gathered. When I asked Jocelyn Vergil, a student in Upward Bound, what she learned from the quarterly meeting her response was “ I learned how to prepare for the ACT, for example, take a practice ACT test in a mimic testing area to reduce test anxiety and to get used to the environment before you take the actual test.” 

The ACT can be a very stressful event and this quarterly meeting’s goal was to limit that stress. Using the advice given at these meetings will lead to success!