Is Team Bonding Beneficial?

Shelbee Burke, Staff Writer

Team bonding: it’s something most teams do to get closer to each other to try and help their bond which could result in helping the team’s success. But does this actually help? Are the ways our school teams are bonding actually helping?

Examples of team bonding include spending time together outside of games and practice,

decorating cookies, going to an athlete’s house to play games, and team dinners are some of the most popular activities. Team dinners may be after practice, before a game, or the day of a tournament. But oftentimes at these activities, the team ends up splitting off into multiple different groups, which defeats the purpose of the team bonding altogether. If the team does not have good team chemistry, it does not matter how great of a player each athlete on the team is, they will not find success as a whole. Teams must be cohesive to win and play well, and while having team dinners and getting together to do activities is a good idea, if the team doesn’t actually spend all the time together, it is not as beneficial. 

Ryley Rolls, a 2019 AHS graduate who now plays volleyball at Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa, explained that college athletics are very different from high school. Teams will start with more personal skills and then work into the big teamwork skills. When asked if it was easier to bond with the team at the college level she expressed that, “It’s not necessarily easier to bond with them because you come in not knowing anyone and it’s hard to figure out what their playing style is. But, we are all at the upper level of playing so it wasn’t hard to get into a rhythm with them on the court.” Ryley explained that one way her team bonds is by doing what they call “secret sisters” which is similar to Secret Santa. They buy their “sister” little gifts for every home game and they have no idea who it’s from. It helps bring them closer together because they have to ask each other questions. Her team also hangs out outside of practice.

Blythe Boness, a 2019 AHS graduate who now plays women’s basketball at Chadron State College, explained that some ways the basketball team bonds is by having dinners, smoothie dates, and attending football and volleyball games. She stated, “Bonding with people at a college level is different because I feel like we are all there for the same thing so we have that common ground to relate to. I believe that team bonding does help teams find success because it develops trust, therefore, you can trust them on the court and off the court.”

College level athletes agree that team chemistry needs to be present for the team to be cohesive and most high school level athletes would also agree. When a team works together, they will have an easier time finding success. When entering tough games, trust needs to be there and it is something that can not be found overnight. As fall sports begin to wrap up, best of luck to those competing in District and State games!