• Box Butte General Hospital has summer internships available for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Applications are available online.

• Cheerleading tryouts are underway! Sign up in Ms. Smith's room to receive a packet.

• Seniors!!! Send your senior and baby pictures to Mrs. Brock by April 1!

Friends for Pets Fundraiser

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

On December 15, a group of Alliance students had participated in the “Friends of Pets” fundraiser at the Sandoz Center at Chadron State College. These students assisted the volunteers of the fundraiser by helping with the various tasks. These tasks included getting the animals ready so they can get a picture with Santa Claus, taking the animals outside when needed, cleaning up messes, checking people in, helping bring the animal to Santa for the picture, while also getting the animals to stay. Some students also provided TLC (Tender Loving Care) for the animals.

Friends of Pets Inc. is a non profit animal protection and welfare organization located mainly in Northwest Nebraska, but serves surrounding areas as needed. The organization is manned solely by volunteers and funded by charitable donations. Its mission is to help animals in need find permanent loving homes and care.

Sophomore, Jordan Vaughn, was one of the students who helped out. Jordan really felt like she helped out Buddy, a dog that needed to be adopted. “I really spent time with Buddy. I gave him walks and I gave him water.” She felt like she was making a difference for that animal’s hope of adoption. “When there are people helping animals get adopted it raises their hope of finding a forever home.”

Another sophomore, Kayla Campos, also helped out with this fundraiser. Kayla also felt as though she helped the various animals she was with, even if the animal didn’t get adopted that day. “I think that even though we couldn’t adopt a pet, we could have played and given them lots of love and affection still.” Kayla hoped that she had given the animals some hope in finding a loving family and home.

A Freshman, Elle Aragon, also helped out with this fundraiser. Elle felt more of a connection with the animals because she is an animal lover. “I feel like I did mostly (helped out with the animals) because I love animals.” Elle felt like she was making a difference in the animals’ hope as well. “I think I did because the animals seemed well cared for and I was happy.”

At the end of the fundraiser, three out of twelve animals were adopted. Although not all the animals had been adopted, all the students were happy to give the animals love and affection even if it was just for a short time. Each student was ready to do it all over again if the outcome was seeing the animals happy.

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Hey, my name is Da'Nautica Thomas. I’m 16 years old. I’m a Junior at AHS. This is my first year of writing for the SPUD. I hope to get better as a...