5 Colleges in 3 Days

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

October 28-30, students got to experience college campus tours through the Upward Bound program.

The first stop was at the University of Nebraska – Kearney (UNK). As soon as students arrived, they ate lunch before we took part in the campus tour. The expanding college had many events going on, some of which included new renovations as well as areas full of college students studying or hanging out. There are many majors to choose from that a student may be interested in doing.

Arriving at our next destination, the students took a tour of Hastings College. Hastings College is a private, church-related, residential liberal arts college, but anyone could can attend. The biggest interest for most students would be the Fine Arts program. There are a lot of things to do in this category like glass-blowing, drawing, painting, and a few others.

The next day, the students went to the University of Nebraska – Lincoln (UNL) Red Letter Day. This event provided a more controlled environment for students because UNL is much bigger than other colleges. Even though UNL is known for their football team, they also offer different interests such as; Performing Arts and the non-class related intramurals for everyone to join and have a great time.
The last day of the trip started with a tour of Wayne State College. Wayne State offers more than 200 types of scholarships, but the newest addition to the colleges’ majors was Forensic Science. This major takes place in a building made to look like a house with a variety of crime scenes in it for students to decipher there.

The final stop of the trip was Northeast Community College in Norfolk, NE. This campus had ongoing renovations, but that’s not the only thing that’s exciting. Northeast has a building called the College of Nursing, where half is where all the medical interests take place, and the other half is where the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) is located. This building recently received interactive mannequins for the students to practice on during a lab or class work.

The trip’s overall experience was fun. The different college tours gave the students an idea of where they want to go. Going with a group of students also made it even more exciting and less overwhelming.