• There will be a boys basketball meeting in Coach Bakers room (209) Wednesday at lunch. Pizza and water will be provided.

• Come support our volleyball team at the Pilfold Invite Saturday, October 20, at 9 a.m.

• There will be a speech team meeting in Mrs. Green's room Wednesday, October 17, after school

• There is no school on Friday, October 19

Key Club: Jars of Hope

Taylor Manion, Staff Writer

Are you feeling down lately? If so pull out a motivational piece of paper from the Jars of Hope. The Jars of Hope will be out for use until about March.

“There are so many students that have things in their mind, they’re worried, scared, anxious, or depressed. Well we just wanted to do something that would brighten their spirits if they were feeling that way because we never want anyone to ever think that ending their life is something that could possibly happen,” states Ms. Smith.

When asked what inspired her for this project, she exclaimed that student was visiting me and they remembered an internet story that was going around about some kid that was going to come to school, give all of his books away, and commit suicide that night.The kid dropped their books in the hallway and some random student helped him pick the books up. That was the deciding factor that he would not commit suicide.

“I hope kids really see that they can anonymously pick a statement out of the jars and read it and believe that they truly do make a difference and that they truly are important to this world. Key Club’s mission is to make our school, community, and our world better. I really think it starts with each one of us. I think our mission is to help everybody and I believe Key Club, the reason why we have 67 kids involved is because they truly want to make a difference,” states Ms. Smith.

Experts say that most suicides occur in the months of January and February. Why is that? In the counseling world it’s called, arsenic month. You can’t get outside very easily, you’re cooped up, the weather is horrible, you’ve just come off the holidays where maybe you didn’t get to see family or it wasn’t what you exactly thought should happen with family. So people get really down and depressed those months. These two months are very hard for individuals and Key Club just wants to offer some hope.

As the arsenic months come to an end and warmer months draw themselves nearer, we hope to see more people happy and joyful about life. Hopefully, the Jars of Hope will make a difference around the school and students will be more upbeat about life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Key Club: Jars of Hope”

1. Roxie Smith on February 6th, 2018 11:25 pm

Such a nice article Taylor! 🙂 . I love the picture of the jar too!

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

Columns

Senior Year: The New Normal

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

What is “Juuling?”

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

Dawgs Through the Decades

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

Entertainment

One Act: Theatre Day

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

College During High School

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

Are Teenagers Choosing the Right Role Models?

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

Living in the Shadow of Your Older Sibling

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

In With The Old, Out With The New

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

My NSAA SAC Experience

• Key Club: Jars of Hope

AHS Football Preview: A Determined Season

Key Club: Jars of Hope