Is Paleo Right For You?

Khloe Felker, Staff Writer

There has been a sudden uproar in social media about a diet called paleo. By some, the diet can be looked at as a very healthy lifestyle and a fast way to get slim. While others say the diet ruins bodies because the lack of important nutrients that are not allowed.

The foods not allowed to be eaten while on this diet are grains, legumes, dairy, refined sugar, potatoes, processed food, salty foods, refined vegetable oils and any kind of candy or junk food. All of these foods are very high in carbs and sugar which are not very healthy in excessive amount. The diet consists of meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, eggs, nuts, seeds and healthy oils.

Paleo is referring to ancient times when people only ate what came from hunting and gathering of babylonians in the paleolithic era. Basically if a caveman wouldn’t have eaten it, then you shouldn’t eat it.

Mr. Ryan Wurdeman, the sophomore English teacher, has tried the diet and thinks that it is a very healthy way of living. He believes that some of the benefits of a paleo diet is that there are no carbs, or sugars. Everything eaten in a paleo diet is natural and good for the body. No junk food is allowed at all. Although these are great benefits, some people on the diet complain of not having enough energy after eating a paleo meal, mostly because they are used to eating a lot of carbs and sugars with their main meal. Their bodies are not use to the lifestyle of eating healthy all of a sudden. It also takes a lot more time and energy to be on the diet because the factor of having to cook all of the food. It is a lot easier to just eat junk food out of a bag rather than preparing all of the meals. Mr. Wurdeman says that the temptations of junk food isn’t very hard to resist, because the food on the on the diet usually satisfies cravings.

Most of the time people’s motives for wanting to try the diet are solely based on the fact that when on the diet one can lose a tremendous amount of weight in a short amount of time. A happy medium for the diet Mr. Wurdeman says “If you’re on a diet you should be on it 80% of the time and off it for 20% of the time.”

There is also a high school student that tried the diet. Laykin Sperl gave up on the diet after about one week of trying it. Her motives for trying the new way of life was to live a healthier life. Her reasons for giving up on the diet was because the amount of time and energy it took to prepare the meals and after doing more research she saw some reviews from people saying that the diet ruins bodies. After reading this she said “I didn’t want the diet to ruin my body, so I stopped.”

Paleo sounds like a great choice when thinking about diet choices. It has many benefits that can create a better lifestyle. Others may not think the benefits are very healthy because the lack of nutrients. Although the opinions vary on the subject going paleo seems to be the more popular option than not. The saying “You are what you eat” has never been more relevant.